Anyone have migraines?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by anjinha, Jul 24, 2012.

1. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I just spent the whole day stuck inside in the dark because of a migraine. :( Luckily I don't get them very often (about 3 times a year) but when I do it ruins my whole day.

Anyone have any tips on how to deal with them?

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Mine are primarily menstrual migraines, but I do get them at other times of the month occasionally. No OTC medications I've tried help, although if I take an ibuprofen early enough it can help keep the peak from being quite so bad. Sometimes I experience a mild aura with them, but usually not. When I do its easier to get to a "safe place" where I can ride it out before the sounds and lights of the environment makes it too bad. The times when they make me puke are the worst...

A while back my doctor prescribed Zomig, but I found the side effects worse than just dealing with the migraine. Since I know approximately when I'll start experiencing them I usually just plan accordingly with my schedule so I'm home and can retreat to my room. Surprisingly my 4 month old doesn't actually make it that much worse...

Don't really have any advice. I can just say I know your pain, and sorry you have to deal with it!

3. 808? macrumors 6502a

I get them a few times a year also, not quite sure what triggers them, but they ruin a day or two at least each time.

I don't have any magical treatment or medicine, but I find if I turn off the lights, turn the airconditioning down so its much cooler inside and turn off anything making noise or light (phones, computers, TVs and so on) I have a much better chance of getting over it faster.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I'm prone to them.

Some years, I get them twice, to three times; other years hardly at all.

Once, when I worked as a public servant in the Parliament, the stress (and the utterly toxic work environment) was such that my migraines were at least monthly, and, while working there, I also suffered from a severe attack of shingles, which required a month's sick leave. (In around twenty years of teaching at university, I was hardly ever ill).

Until this year, when I finally managed to get it seen to, I also had issues with two impacted wisdom teeth, which would flare up violently about once a year, or 18 months, and then cheerfully segue into a migraine.

I think the main thing is to try to recognise possible triggers and try to avoid them. Hunger and stress combined are a deadly combination. The menstrual cycle didn't hep much either, and I think there was a link with PMT and when I was most susceptible to migraines if added factors such as stress - and perhaps hunger - also featured. These days, I'm always exceedingly well hydrated, which helps.

Once a migraine starts on its path, though, there is very little one can do, unless you manage to head it off before it hits. No over the counter thing helps once it has started.

Mine always lasted the best part of three days - always three days, though the thing itself was usually winding down by the third, and the throbbing headache was more like a grim echo of its former self, which reminded you that it had paid you a visit, rather than the sheer poleaxing incapacity visited upon you on the first - and sometimes - second - day. Bed, darkness, no noise, and lots of water and hot savoury drinks - try not to eat or drink anything sweet at all, as sweet things seemed to exacerbate the thing, even though your mind (well, my mind) illogically seemed to crave such.

Agree with abijnk - the times when you puke are the worst, though, thankfully, that didn't happen all that often, and hasn't happened for years. Not, now that I come to think of it, since I worked in the Parliament.

All I can say is, I've been there and I know what you are going through. You have my heartfelt sympathy.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I used to get them around 10 years ago when I was at school. Mine usually present themselves as a visual distortion, if I take a paracetamol (just a regular dose) and relax for an hour then it usually passes. If I don't then Bam! A day-long splitting headache, dislike of lights and sound, no appetite.

I think mine are stress related, and around 10 years ago I started to drink a lot of mineral water too (2 litres a day). So maybe that helped?

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have a friend who gets migraines, but she stopped drinking alcohol and says she only gets them once a month now.

7. ShamrockSolace macrumors member

Last Year - Tension headaches

I spent greater part of a year figuring out daily headaches.

Found that it was part of TMJ. Jaw clinching. Physical Therapy is helping me get relief from stiff necks. Bite guard and exercise help.

Went through entire testing scope. Found the solution from a dentist email.

I went on a restrictive diet, sleep study, scans, mris, nuerologist, opthamologist. If you have body aches, go to PT they may be able to tell you additional information.

8. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

I got them when I was younger, maybe once every three months for about six years, and then they just stopped, no idea why, the doctor I was seeing gave me a few potential reasons, but I still don't know. I +1 the hunger and stress combination, still to this day I get anxious if by 3pm I have a lot to do and haven't eaten anything significant, even if I'm hardly stressed or hungry in comparison to when I used to get them... but still, it gets be anxious.

I used to hate hearing people call in sick with a migraine and come to work the next day bouncy and full of energy. If you had a migraine yesterday, I'd think, you would be in bed till Friday, and even then, you could barely function in a teaching a class or going to meeting the next Monday. I know they can affect everyone differently, and never said anything, but always felt embarrassed when I would take three to four days off with something that others thought so trivial. My superiors were always supportive, so I shouldn't have worried so much.

9. nicknicknickh macrumors regular

Caffiene. When ever I get a migraine (quite often few times a month, maybe once a week). They are usually far milder then yours but sometimes are just as bad. I find caffeine in coke form or if your stomach is upset/you are tired napping in a cool room with ac. If you have a friend I find a temple massage also helps (if yours is around your temples). Also sometimes watching a something on a laptop not a TV! Helps get my mind off the pain.

I'm sorry this may be little help as there are over 1,000 types of migraines and their is little chance we share the same type.

I feel your pain and wish you best of luck! Also my father suffers from them and he takes a prescription so talking to a doctor may help you.

EDIT: I just remembered that I went to an acupuncturist and an osteopath for years whom both helped preventing them considerably.

10. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Wondering if you drink a lot of coffee. Caffeine withdrawal is a strong migraine trigger.

I used to load up on energy drinks to make it through the week then Saturday or Sunday I'd get a migraine from the withdrawal. I cut down my caffeine consumption and the migraines disappeared.

11. Purple2012 macrumors member

I get them.
    Had a hemiplegic migraine once. It was like a temporary stroke.

12. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Just suffered through a very bad one. I rented a car for a funeral, and ended up stranded with the car in a parking lot curled up in the back seat trying not to vomit. Kept popping pseudo-ephedrine, ibuprofen and caffeine every hour for four hours until it died down enough to drive the car 20 minutes to the rental lot.

13. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I have had one today, get them quite a lot to be honest and during the summer it gets worse. Today has been really humid in the UK and I can feel it when the pressure changes. So I try to drink as much as possible when I feel like this.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i get them occasionally. my best bet is to take some advil as soon as it feels like one is coming on. if that doesn't help the only way for me to stop it going for days is to get some very heavy sleep usually with a sleep aid. it all depends on the cause of the migraine though. for some people is allergies (food and otherwise) some people its tension, and so on. If you know whats causing it like allergies sudafed or something similar would probably help too. but usually its just power through the day until i can sleep.

15. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Yup, and cluster headaches.

When they're bad I treat with LSD.

Seriously.