Anyone have MMS working on an iPhone 2G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lokey, Jun 19, 2009.

1. lokey macrumors regular

lokey

I've heard that there is a solution if you jailbreak, but is there a way to allow the iPhone 2G to send/receive MMS messages in the 3.0 Messages app?

2. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

It's blocked by the iPhone OS, and I'm not really sure why. Apple claimed that it was because MMS needs 3G to work, which is bull.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

They never said you need 3G to send MMS, all they said is the 2G has hardware limitations.

4. lokey thread starter macrumors regular

lokey

I know it won't be support by Apple, but is there any hope someone will get it to work on the 2G? I know the jailbreaking community has had it working for quite some time.

5. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

For one, isn't the hardware in the original iPhone largely similar to the 3G, save for a few key components? Also, I'd have thought the difference between emailing a picture from the original iPhone over GPRS would be a very similar process to MMS over GPRS.

I don't know a huge amount about the internal requirements for MMS, but I do know that my old Sony Ericsson brick that I had before the iPhone (W810i) could send and receive MMS, including video.

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I never tried but I would imagine the .ipcc file that enabled MMS with the 3.0 beta's might help with the iPhone OG.

7. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I spent over four hours hacking it yesterday. I got everything, but it won't send. I even changed my TEXT plan to non-iPhone plan, but no luck. I think Jailbreak is the only way until end of July. On a positive note, I did get tethering & Visual VoiceMail to play nicely together. :)

My original post:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=724582

I am in U.S. on AT&T. Tethering is working, but MMS will not send. I changed my AT&T account to non-iPhone text plan. As you can see in the screen shots, I have everything I need to send MMS, but it will not send. What did I miss?

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. pugnut macrumors 6502a

While the SIM is in the other phone you must go to he media net site and have a pass code sent, via Text, you then enter that code on the web site. You should also sent a MMS from the other phone or access the web, from the other phone before you swap the sim back

9. lokey thread starter macrumors regular

lokey

Well it sounds like there is least some hope that after AT&T officially supports MMS on the iPhone I will have some options to get my iPhone 2G to perform what should be a basic function.

I still wonder if anyone with the original has gotten this to work yet?

10. HarvJH macrumors newbie

i'm hoping someone from the jailbreaking community will be able to bring mms to the phone properly, if not then i'll just have to buy swirlymms.