Anyone have occasional lines while playing "The Hobbit?"

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Michael CM1, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I bought "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" from the iTunes Store last night. Watched it in part on my older LCD TV in my bedroom and didn't notice anything. I later watched it on my newer Samsung LED TV and noticed a green line popping up in the black bar below the picture.

I have never experienced this with any video I have bought from iTunes. I mean never. I noticed a couple spots of compression in very dark scenes in "The Hunger Games" and "Skyfall." I didn't even see that on this movie.

Does anyone have experience with this? Both ATVs are third generation, although the one hooked up to the more expensive TV is a year older. Both are up to date on software. I even tracked back on the video and it is at the same spot, not randomly when playing.

2. leeds utd fc macrumors member

I didn't think it was out until next month...how did you manage to buy it?

3. waw74, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

waw74 macrumors 68030

it's available in the US store, might be different for the UK
    rental available on march 19th

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/hobbit-unexpected-journey/id598661920

---
    is the green bar at the very edge of the screen, might be the way your TV is handling overscan.

it's possible your TV aspect ratio is set to "just scan" instead of 16:9 or something similar (every manufacturer is a bit different in the terminology here)

4. leeds utd fc macrumors member

Doh! Of course. I hadn't realised it was available earlier in the US.
    Sucks that we have to wait until April though :(

5. musicpenguy, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

I watched it last night and it looked beautiful with no artifacts or lines - I'd imagine it is an equipment issue.

(Played via ATV 3 on my Epson 710HD projector - 160 inch screen or so)

6. GarrettL1979 macrumors 6502

7. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

I'll check my TV ratio. It could be the motion-smoothing technology as well.

I will try re-downloading it, but I watched the part at the end (post-Gollum) and didn't see it on my older TV. Darn Samsung barfing on my Apple TV. Play nice!

8. Che Castro macrumors 603

9. stordoff macrumors regular

If it bothers you, you can report a problem with the video quality to iTunes (go to Account->Purchase History->Report a Problem). I've done this twice (once for a line similar to what you describe that stayed for the whole movie, and once for an encoding error that was only visible for a few seconds), and both times I have been given store credit to cover the cost of the item.