Anyone have opinions about the OWC Thunderbay IV?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by oxband, Nov 18, 2014.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

I'm thinking about long term storage and about to start editing a feature. I think I'm going to buy the OWC Thunderbay IV and just swap drives in and out. Any advice on this product? I plan on using it as a JBOD and just backing up my drives regularly.

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

It's great. I have one for my Mac Mini and it works as advertised. Fast, reliable, silent. Not much more to say really. Although I think it's cheaper from OWC directly (or at least you can get the Thunderbay 4 which is TB2 for the same money from OWC directly).

3. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I have two of them, and they are excellent, the fans are quiet too.

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

A very good product.

If you don't need TB2, the older TB1 models have been in the OWC clearance bin, saving you at least $100.

5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I've heard nothing but good things about the ThunderBay and I have one scheduled for delivery tomorrow. The only minor issue that has surfaced for a few people (but not all) is more fan noise then they prefer. However, there is a very easy fix for that. Otherwise, it has received nothing but praise.

There's an on-going thread regarding the Thunderbay over in the iMac forum and I think you may find it to be very useful. Check it out -- its definitely a good read.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1808641

Cheers,
    Bryan

6. negatv1 macrumors 6502

The only issue I've had with mine (Thunderbay 4) is that the slightest of movements seems to disconnect Thunderbolt. Now mind you, a box full of spinning hard drive platters isn't something that I move around often, but during the initial arrangement I did manage to disconnect several times.

Tried a couple different Thunderbolt cables, and seems as if the ports on the unit as just a tad too shallow. That said, a non-issue once the box has been put into its final resting place on my desk, and I used a stick on cable hold down and a loop of cable as 'slack' to prevent it from disconnecting inadvertently.

I own their Helios II Thunderbolt box as well, and wish the Thunderbay came with the similar cable clamp to keep things in place.

I was skeptical of SoftRaid, as I was initially unaware how long the software had been around and the performance of "software" raid in general, but I ended up being really impressed with it and ended up buying a license (even after the recent +$50 price increase).

7. Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

I looked up the TB enclosures on OWC. They also had Elite(?) model/ Lookede to be same warranty & etc, what about it?