Anyone have problems with 13" unibody battery swelling?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by derickdub, Jun 30, 2011.

1. derickdub macrumors 6502

I just noticed my trackpad in my mid 2009 13" mbp wasn't clicking like it should. The buttons still function, but there is no positive clicking on the right side and the left side is stiff and the trackpad is bulging out over the casing. After a lot of investigating, I realized the battery is bulging out some on the right side and if I take the bottom cover off the trackpad works better.

I've googled this and can't find anyone with my model who has had this problem. I'm going to take it to get looked at tomorrow. I'm not really expecting a free battery considering the computer is 2 years old now and I replaced the HDD myself, but is there any hope for that? How much do the batteries go for?

I really don't want the damn thing blowing up or screwing the trackpad up anymore than it has.

2. Kyllle macrumors 6502

Take it in and see what they say. I highly doubt they will replace the battery, especially if you don't have Apple Care. New batteries are $179 and they can replace it while you wait, or come back and get it later that day.

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/service/battery/

3. derickdub thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I didn't see that on their site before. I am out of warranty and have no apple care, so I'll probably be forking over the money for the repair.

It would only be $129 for since I have the 13". What really sucks is it could have been like this for some time now. I just rarely use the trackpad and when I do I always tap and not click.

I really wouldn't worry about it if I wasn't afraid of it blowing up. I actually plan on selling it soon when I upgrade. My conscious couldn't bare selling someone a defective macbook though.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There have been many cases of Apple replacing swollen batteries, even out of warranty. While it's not guaranteed, it never hurts to ask.

5. derickdub thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I really hope so. I just think the fact that I have replaced the HDD myself would be another reason for them not to give me one though. And before I realized the battery was causing the problem I tried to get the screws holding it in out, so it's pretty obvious I tampered around inside.

I'm hoping for the best though.