Anyone have scratches on there unibody MB/MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w...b, Dec 15, 2008.

1. w...b macrumors regular

Im making a video and i wanted to get some pics of macbooks and macbook pros with scratches on them. I would prefer the new unibodies but the other models are fine.

Thanks

W...B

2. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

I don't...I can't really bare to have my laptop being scratch as it is only two weeks old...

3. svndmvn Guest

a MR member scratched his new one with a credit card, or so he stated, preparing it for the Invisible Shield, if I'm not mistaking.

4. Kleivonen macrumors member

You'd be better off looking for older polycarbonate MB's with scratches. I don't know any of my friends who have scratches on our MBP's. However all of our old polycarbonate MB's were riddled with scratches.

5. dentedG4 macrumors member

The old "invisible shield" excuse. One should not use the lid of expensive machinery to support a drug problem.

6. w...b thread starter macrumors regular

could anyone help me find some pics and the person they are from. Because i would need their consent to use the pictures.

7. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

8. 7even macrumors 6502a

No scratches here. I transport it in a case, but besides that, nothing.

9. Neil1138 macrumors regular

hahaha. Thats exactly what i was thinking but i didnt want to say it

10. johnnyxgt macrumors newbie

no scratches

nope no scratches.... i think first i would scratch myself before scratching my macbook:D

11. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

Yup, scratch here on my late 08 (unibody) MBP

12. w...b thread starter macrumors regular

do you have a scratch? if so can you please take a picture?

13. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

A Couple on the bottom of my Early 08 MBP, oh and a dent >.>

14. Roadking macrumors 6502

15. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

Bunch of scratches here, probably too small to really get in a picture but ill try.

16. shoopaman macrumors 6502

shoopaman

a tiny one, i couldn't bare to look, so i covered it with a sticky-foam star- and another to the other side with no scratch and now it just looks like a dent-proof - looks rather professional :D

17. Mercellus macrumors regular

Late 2008 MacBook Pro that I've had since November, I've travelled with it and it has yet to get scratched, I'm actually quite impressed with the durability.

18. Fauldzy macrumors newbie

My brand new MBP purchased today

Well I got my brand spanking new unibody home today, took it out of the box (kept the plastic sealed envelope around the laptop) and gave it a quick visual inspection... and would you f**king believe it! Not a scratch but what can only be described as a 'dig' out of the aluminum! This is located on the port side, above the battery button/lights on the corner edge, between the lid (screen). See picture.

I know nothing is ever perfect and I can be quite picky about things like this, but really; this is a premium priced bit of kit and I have not even properly unpackaged the laptop!

I like to keep my things in good condition. My now dated 5 year old (alu) powerbook I have managed to keep in brilliant condition!

All things considered though what can I do about it? What would you do about it? I REALLY want to break the envelope seal around the MPB and play with my new toy. However at the moment the dig is under plastic, which indicates the damage happened in manufacture and I have not just had an accident with it, so perhaps I need to leave it that way for now?

I bought the laptop from a reseller on ebay BNIB sealed. He lives about 2 hours from me, but I have Apple stores closer. He assured me that it has warranty cover but is this valid at any Apple store? Is this problem even a valid one or will Apple staff just look at me a bit strange, and tell me to go away?

Well whatever, I am a consumer of an Apple product and I am not happy.

Thoughts please. Thanks.

Attached Files:

• dig.jpg
      dig.jpg
      File size:
      171.5 KB
      Views:
  19. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Had mine for the past couple of months and no scratches whatsoever.

20. brentsg macrumors 68040

I have 2 scratches on the bottom. One is really long from the zipper when I took it out of the bag at airport security... grr...

The other is short and it's actually from the metal end of a usb cable... I unplugged it while the laptop was on a Griffin stand and when I let go of the cable it went under and scraped along the underside... grr...

Neither is visible at all unless I get it in perfect light at the proper angle. And you can't feel them with a fingernail or anything.

The moral of the first story is use a sleeve so for when you go to the airport.

21. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

what's the best way to clean your macbook? Hot and slightly damp cloth or do people use a special cleaner for aluminum?

22. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

I have a dull spot on the corner of my batt. since apparently it touched the table when it was sitting on there. But thats it since i have a hard case now

23. DESILVA89 macrumors newbie

not a single scratch on mine either, i protect it with a BSE skin as well!

24. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

When I use my unibody MBP, I don't use a case or anything, however, when I travel, I use a neoprene case. Anyway, I could really care less about tiny scratches on metal. I had RC cars back in the day and spent about the cost of a high end 17in MBP on upgrades... titanium skidpates, Aluminum everything else. However, saying that, I do have a few little "battle scars" on my computer
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]