anyone have so many repairs they got a late 2008 replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Oct 27, 2008.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 603

thadoggfather

Just wondering :D

Not trying to dupe the system or anything, but my SR mbp was so plagued with so many problems that needed repairs that they swapped it out for a comparable Penryn model back in March....

2. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

My Powerbook G4 1.33 had a couple of problems and the Apple Store replaced it with a new unibody MBP.

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

How many repairs do you know? Were there numerous repairs or numerous complaints and it was replaced without attempting to be fixed?

I think my SR had like 3 or 4 repairs (me being without a computer) before they were like, "screw it -- your mbp is a lemon."

4. Jatku macrumors member

I had a PB G4 (1.67?) that was fine. I think the only things I had repaired were: a key on the keyboard, the fans, and a bruise on my screen (made during the fan repair). I may have had one more thing repaired, but I can't remember because I sent it in within a few months when I got it for something minor, and then almost 3 years later just because warranty was about to expire. Nothing really bad enough to warrant a replacement, but they did anyway. They even tossed in a few goodies too :)

5. fongyuen macrumors 6502

i kinda did, in fact, i am waiting for my new mbp now (hopefully arrive this wed), but it's a 17" so i didn't get the unibody upgrade! doh. :p

6. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

hey i have a plagued santa rosa macbook pro. a while back my webcam broke, they fixed it, but when it came back it still didint work. Then i had to send it back to replace the logic board. That whole process took 3 weeks. Now my cd/dvd rom drive is really messed up. It has problems reading discs and burning. Any chance that they would replace it witha new mbp? hehe thank goodness i bought apple care.

7. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Yeah, call applecare straight and say that you have a lemon

8. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

are you talking to me? if this is going to be my fourth repair can I just complain and get a new MbP?

9. Lhk1617 macrumors newbie

Don't complain just ask, see if your computer qualifies as a lemon MBP. They are nicer to those who ask for something that is within reason. You are within reason to say it might be cheaper for them to give you a replacement than fix it so many times.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

So you had a SR MBP and it was replaced with a Penryn MBP and now what? Your sentence literally drops off.

Do you have a faulty Penryn MBP? If so then no, you'll be getting yourself a refurb Penryn. They don't just upgrade you because you have problems. They upgrade you because they lack stock to replace with a comparable machine.

11. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

if you have a sr MacBook pro would it get replaced with a new Mbp at best?

12. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Wow, how is that even possible? No way you still had AppleCare on it. What was the story? Quite a nice free upgrade for you.

13. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I know that I came out ahead on this deal. Let me say that the PB1.33 was great for three years but the logic board decided to go out a couple of times. My history with Macs is not very good, my first machine, a 7500 had a hard drive that lost all information including OS, two or three times a month. The service center never could recreate the problem and it drove me crazy. I would turn it on and there was nothing on the hard drive. Imagine in those days, Photoshop was a dozen floppy disks and I had to completely rebuild my system. After about 60 days Customer Relations replaced the machine. In the meantime, I had to have a computer and I bought a Power Computing unit. Remember them? Did I mention the 1710AV monitor that was recalled?

Then there was the PB G3 Wallstreet that was great until the display hinge clutches gave out but Apple never acknowledged the problem. I looked at that invoice recently and I paid $3000 for that machine. Then the PB1.33 and the logic board problems, I gave them a couple attempts and then I called Customer Relations. They would wait till it got back from the service center before making a decision. Two days later the Apple Store called and told me they would replace it with a comparable unit. Does it sound like it's been all rainbows, butterflies and unicorns? I laugh at those Apple commercials and the image that they convey. As a photographer, I am not trilled with the all glossy line up and think that Apple is forgetting who bought their early products and who helped them establish that pro reputation.

14. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Who cares, it's a TN panel anyways. You can only get so much color accuracy, regardless if it's matte or glassy.

15. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Ever since coming to this forum I realize I've been VERY fortunate w/ Apple. I've never had one problem w/ any of their computers ever. Seriously. My first was a PowerMac 7600/120 that I milked WAY past its best before date...that was a powerhouse and worked like a dream! I then bought a friend's 9600/300 and upgraded it to a G3 500...no problems. Next up was my current white Intel iMac 1.83ghz machine and aside from one blue stuck pixel its absolutely perfect. I don't even notice the pixel unless its a black screen. I should be receiving my brand new MBP tomorrow morning and my fingers are crossed that my streak continues.

I know I keep computers too long but its hard to give them up when they are solid and work so well for me. Seriously, if I didn't read this forum I'd be convinced that Apple products only break down when its a fluke or abused, from my good experience. These threads scare the bajeezaz out of me. It sounds like Apple has no quality control whatsoever (if you believe all the complaints) and I'm the one who's fluked out because my machines have been near flawless and stable. ...now I'm nervous about my new machine tomorrow...you can bet I'll be running it through that wicked checklist posted here recently.

16. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

replacement

i had a 2.4 whitebook purchased in feb. I had 3 hd failures and apple blamed the third party ram. I then took out the ram and replaced it with the origninal apple ram and the hd failed in 4 days. When i took it back to apple they are replacing it with a Al. book 2.4. I should arrive this week. 6-10 days

17. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

so a logic board breakdown, an isight breakdown a year ago and now a broken cd rom drive so that prolly wont be enough to get a new mbp eh? sounds like yours was pretty bad.

18. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

i called in today and complained nicely. they looked into it and decided to issue me a replacement. they said they don't know what they are giving me but that its just a 2.4gbz mbp with a 250gb hd. right now i have a 160 so hopefully its a brand new one :D. spent an hour on the phone. they said that since i had so many hardware failures they would send a replacement.