Anyone have some waterproof camera recommendations?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by chrono1081, Apr 25, 2012.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

I have a Canon 5DII but I don't feel like getting into thousands of dollars for an underwater housing. I'm going on a trip to Hawaii in a few days and wanted to get a compact underwater camera so I can get pictures of sea turtles. I don't mind spending a few hundred dollars.

Anyone have any suggestions on one that you've used and liked?

2. steveash macrumors 6502

steveash

Have you looked at EWA Marine cases? They have been recommended to me but I haven't tried them. As long as you have good insurance there shouldn't be much to worry about and the 5D will take far better pictures than a cheap compact.

3. Photoshopper macrumors regular

Photoshopper

4. kdawg29 macrumors newbie

5. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Diving or snorkeling? If diving - it ain't going to be cheap - I'd suggest something like a Canon S95 in the canon housing. Get a red filter for it and it should give some good results.

6. WRP macrumors 6502a

All of the offerings are pretty much crap. since you don't mind spending money, why not rent a housing and get GOOD pictures for your trip? Hawaii isn't cheap so you don't want to blow it. I bought the crappy Canon waterproof camera for Puerto Rico and wished I had rented a housing for my 7D.

7. jeremy h macrumors 6502

A good compact in housing (circa £500 for camera and housing - but - you can normally pick up good deals on housed compacts on eBay from people trading up) will give pretty impressive results in the right hands. The advantage a DSLR gives are flash control, shooting speed and the ability to use really good wide lenses - although bear in mind a housed DSLR can easily produce crap results underwater if you don't practice a bit first.

The principles are the same in both cases...

1. Stay shallow (unless you have strobes etc). 2. Use the widest angle you can and get close to the subject - then get even closer! 3. White balance if you can... and the rest is detail...

Also - if I'm a beginner, I would rather flood a secondhand compact than a 5D... (It happens! :eek:)

8. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

I tried my hand underwater in January. I definitely didn't go the cheap route with an Ikelite setup and an old Nikon D70. I was really happy to get two photos out of the trip. I will definitely be practicing more - I had a lot of blurry and/or over exposed shots.

I agree with all of the above. I was shooting with a 16mm lens and the turtle is about two feet from the camera. The flash pulled out the color in the flippers. I need to knockdown the background a bit but otherwise I'm really happy with the performance.

Recently I picked up a refurb Nikon AW100 for about $220. It is rated for 10m so it would be ideal if you are snorkeling or doing shallow dives. It is also a good camera to have topside on the boat as you don't have to worry about it getting wet.

[​IMG]

9. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

If you already have a canon point and shoot, they make waterproof housings for them. I have one for my Powershot S500, and it works great. Mine came with a few cool diffusing filters that suppress the flash a little in order to assist with any bounce-back. I dive with it; it's treated me well so far.

Check out this link: http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/underwater_photo

10. jeremy h macrumors 6502

The other great thing about the modern point and shoots is a lot of them have some very spiffy video modes. If you want to record your dive - a video (with a red filter) can be much more rewarding than trying to take decent still shots especially if you're new to it all.

The Go Pro's are a neat little video system if you haven't got anything yet and just want to record what you've seen.

11. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thanks so much for all the advice guys :) Sadly I won't be able to shop around as much as I had hoped.

This was a spur of the moment trip so I won't get a chance to grab a Ewa marine bag in time. I forgot all about those :/

I stopped at Best Buy today (its all we have where I live) since I won't get a camera shipped to me in time and found an Olympus TG610 and a Fuji XP50 point and shoot. I generally like Olympus cameras so I may go with that one. I'm still researching online.

12. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I don't have any personal experience with it, but it doesn't seem that Fuji has a very good track record with their waterproof point-and-shoots. The past two models both have less than 3 star ratings on Amazon. The XP50 doesn't have any reviews on there yet. I was in the market a year ago and really wanted to like the current Fuji at the time due to the awesomely low price, but I was scared away by the reviews that said it would leak in the first couple times under water and then Fuji wouldn't stand by their warranty since they say it doesn't cover water damage.

13. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

You can pick up a disposable underwater camera.

Or try Canon P&S with the housing. If you are staying at a house (vs hotel). Try seeing if you can have one shipped there. Or maybe next day shipping. Canon has a lot of P&S camera with underwater housing. Try looking at the Canon SD ## and grab a housing for it.

http://www.adorama.com/SearchSite/Default.aspx?searchinfo=canon+underwater

14. glutenenvy macrumors regular

glutenenvy

Tell me if you're on vacation or working as a photographer. If you're going on vacation a pocket waterproof point and shoot may be the best option. It is so much easier to go have fun when you're not carrying around a backpack full of fragile equipment.

We use an Olympus brand point and shoot water proof crush proof camera for water based vacation photos. With a small camera we do not have to worry about leaving camera gear on the beach or pool deck to get stolen. Of course the lens is limited compared to a SLR but it is likely that you'll find less items to mess with the better while your airtime is limited.

The cheap Fuji we picked up at Costco last year and returned, was so noisy the camera zoom noise was picked up on the videos it took.

What I can say is a negative is the amount of time a GPS fix takes but that is probably the same for any camera with a built in GPS.

No matter how good your camera is you will be at the whim of any weather at all churning up the water and silt.

15. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

No hardcore photography for me on this trip ;) I'm bringing my 5D2 and ONE lens. I can't decide between my 24-70 or 16-35. I shoot mainly with my 16-35 but I have a feeling the 24-70 may be my better all around option.

That camera will only come out a few times, most of the time I'll be doing fun stuff and want a point and shoot to carry around. I have one, somewhere, but its not water proof.

Sadly my options appear to be limited. The Olympus I went to buy at Best Buy today was gone, so I'm hoping I can nab one at the Best Buy a few towns over before Tuesday 0_0.

16. WRP macrumors 6502a

Hawaii... you'll want the wide angle.

17. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thanks for all the advice guys :)

I found a waterproof olympus at Best Buy that seems good. I tested it and it worked so I guess thats a good sign :p The pics seem pretty decent too which is good because its the only option within 150 miles of where I live ;P

I'll let everyone know how it works out incase someone else is in a similar situation. Its an Olympus TG-610.

18. harleymhs macrumors 6502

Nikon Aw100 is the way to go.. I had the Panosonic, canon and Pentax.. the Nikon is Rugged waterproof and takes decent point n shoot pics! Costco has them in stock and for a great price! Comes in 3 colors... I have the Orange and Black ! Great pocket camera and tough as well! Hope this helps! My wife has the NEW SONY TX series waterproof good but not as rugged as the Nikon!

19. monkeylui macrumors 6502

I have the Canon D10 & love it. Great camera all around. I've taken some cool underwater pics with it.

20. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Most dive shops rent decent cameras for a few bucks a day.

Paul

21. Melizard macrumors 6502

Melizard

I had a shock & waterproof olympus point & shoot that came in the field with me every summer for four years. It was very durable, and ended up with all kinds of dents and scratches but still worked. It survived rain, blowing sand, freezing temperatures, being dropped out of a helicopter, and being accidentally dropped more times than I can remember. The photo quality was pretty bad, but it did the job. I'm having trouble adjusting to an SLR since I'm pretty rough with my gear.

Hope your new camera works well!

22. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Tea-Aholic

I have a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10. It's waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof and shockproof.

Sensor: 16MP backside illuminated CMOS sensor
    Lens: Carl Zeiss 4.43-17.7 (25-100mm equiv.) F3.5-4.3

It's a great little camera which take wonderful low light night shots. I haven't dunked it in water yet but I've washed it under a tap it its fine.

It also has great macro compatibility as it can take shots as close at 1 cm.

The only thing is that it uses a touchscreen, but if your fine with that I had no problem with it. Uses both SD and Memory Stick Pro Duo cards.

[​IMG]