Anyone have Starcraft on a 2012 MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Gregintosh, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I currently have the 2011 MBA (13 base model) and Starcraft runs okay on it, but the area where the processor/graphics card is, especially right above the keyboard, gets super hot (and by that I mean if I kept my finger on it I'd probably get burned). Also, the fans run like mad and the thing sounds like its taking off into outer space. This happens even on the lowest graphics settings in native resolution (1440x900).

So while it plays fine, it's a little troubling I guess. I worry the thing will overheat, especially if I ever end up playing it somewhere hot without AC.

I am wondering if this is still the case in the 2012 model or if the fact that the Hd 4000 is a better card + better processor + more RAM make a real difference here.

Also, is the 2.0 Ghz model worth it? As in, would it be able to handle a game better thus not force the fans to kick into highest of gears all the time?

I am debating going with the extra space (256GB) so if I go with that I might as well go with the processor but if it's not worth it maybe I'll stick with the 128GB model and just try to cut some crap out and save the $400.

I am actually going through a phase where I'm getting rid of all my stationary things like my iMac and going all mobile (getting ready to travel heavily starting the fall into early next year). The only game I play is SC 2, otherwise my needs are pretty mild (just typical office stuff). The MBA will be my only machine for at least the next 8 or so months.

2. vdinc macrumors newbie

I got a 2012 MBA 13 i5/8gb/128 and it play sc2 at around 80fps with high texture everything else low. Still gets kind of hot near the top of the keyboard and temps stay around 100c

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Doesn't matter what model Mac you use. It's going to get hot.

4. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

I am waiting for my 2012 MBA so I can't say anything for sure but I had a friend's low end 2011 MBA for around 2 weeks with me back in January and it was handling SC2 on low-medium settings quite decently... I am confident that the 2012 MBA can handle it even better so have no worries ( it of course will not run on Ultra and all that jazz but considering the notebook size, I think the performance is really decent ).

The notebook will surely get hot, but you shouldn't worry about it failing due to temps... At most it will not be too pleasant to keep on your lap without having some pants on :)

5. Gregintosh thread starter macrumors 68000

So I'm guessing the fans stay up full blast as well? Have you tried on low textures and see if that helps?

Im almost wondering if I should just keep my 2011 and save myself the hassle. If the experience is going to be the same, then it makes no difference since it does everything else I want.

6. dmelgar macrumors 68000

2012 11" Ultimate. Runs very hot, fans maxed out.
    I wonder if SC2 isn't written very efficiently, heck even the downloader causes the system to run hot.
    I also had an issue where even setting textures etc. low was still getting horrible frame rate. I think it was something about switching in and out of fullscreen mode, not sure. In anycase, I ran it again later and the frame rate seemed much better.

7. stark4 macrumors 6502

Any update on this.

And Do you guys think heart of the swarm will run fine on 2011 MBA?

8. Gregintosh thread starter macrumors 68000

I ended up getting the 15 inch retina. It plays Starcraft extremely well and does not get super hot or loud. I typically play with medium settings and often in windowed mode so I can still check my skype, email, and do a little bit of multi tasking from time to time.

When I play full screen I can crack the settings up to high and enjoy a great, smooth experience.mthough the fans kick into higher gears at that point.

9. LightOnAHill macrumors regular

Glad hour pro is working well. What resolution will it play at on the retina pro?

10. lukekarts macrumors regular

I played it yesterday, did the first 3 campaign missions. Runs absolutely fine, no lag, stuttering etc. I've not changed the settings since SC2 (which were low all across the board I think).

Using an i5/256 2011 Air.