Anyone have the classic buckle?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Dukecitydawg, May 22, 2015.

1. Dukecitydawg macrumors newbie

I ordered the stainless steel with sport band, and am thinking about a classic buckle band for dressier occassions. How does the classic buckle look and feel?

2. SunshineFires macrumors regular

SunshineFires

I have both the classic buckle and the black sport band with my 42mm stainless steel. both look and feel excellent. You won't regret it.

3. onethinline macrumors member

My watch came with the classic buckle. It's great. Very classic and elegant in person.

4. MrLoL macrumors 6502

MrLoL

My watch also came with sport band and I ordered classic buckle, it's preparing for shipping. Also wanna know if it's good for everyday use.

I wanted to get leather loop, but after try-on I changed my decision and thought the classic buckle was better.
    The apple store employee who did my try-on told me the classic buckle is his favorite one, and I must admit it's much good looking IRL than on pictures.

5. thomasfxlt58 macrumors regular

I have the classic buckle. I like it. It's very versatile and can be worn dress or casual. Maybe a bit expensive but you get the connector parts that could be used later for a 3rd party band I guess.

6. noobinator macrumors 601

I'm so sad you can only get there blue classic buckle with edition.

7. lk400 macrumors 6502a

It looks great. I have both classic buckle and black sports band. The leather really changes the look and feelof the watch. The classic buckle feels nicer on a looser setting down the wrist a little. The sports feels better firm and above the wrist. The classic brings out the jewellery side of the watch.

However, it is not as easy in day to day life. Washing hands and sweating gets the bad wet, and it can stay wet for some time. I find myself using the sports most of the time, even though j prefer the look of the classic.

8. Zeos macrumors 6502

Good points on the daily use. Seems like the Sports Band is more practical on a daily basis, but a nice thing to have on more dressy occasions.

9. page3 macrumors 6502

Thinking of the classic buckle myself.

Don't understand why it cannot withstand the rigours of daily life. My current watch has a decent leather strap and still looks like new after two years of daily ware. I use some leather feed every six months or so.

Surely the apple strap is of sufficient quality for daily wear?

10. lk400 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure how high quality the apple one is. I have my doubts. After a few weeks of use is showing wear I would expect after months (stretching and marks from the buckle). Also seems to get more impacted by water - not sure about this one, but it seems to absorb the water more easily than my other watches (I just talking a little splash from washing hands), and stays damp longer. Having said that, I really like the look of the leather, so I hope it holds up.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have the classic buckle. It'll definitely hold up to daily wear. That said, don't immerse it in water -- like any other leather band.

12. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I wear my classic buckle daily but I am careful when I wash my hands to not immerse it. I used to have a SG Sport with the sport band and I showered with that one and everything. Wouldn't dare do so with my classic buckle. As Apple says, it is not water resistant.

13. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I have the classic buckle and the black sport band bought separately. I use the sport band when I'm going to be outside for the majority of the day for obvious reasons. I use the classic buckle in the evenings and on work days because I'm inside for those times. The classic buckle really showcases the watches design.

The biggest tip I can give you about the classic buckle leather is that it will hold up for a long time and look new if you, on a regular basis, get a towel, get it damp (not wet) with warm (not hot) water, and give it a good rub down on both sides and dry it. By doing this I don't have any cracking, white residue, or discoloration on the band. Don't try to get fancy with leather cleaners, wipes, or any other chemicals. Basic water goes a long way and it is the recommended treatment by Apple.

14. April Knight Suspended

I have the Classic Buckle as well as the Milanese Loop. I enjoy both, although I mainly wear the Milanese Loop. I switch them out depending on my outfit and what looks best. My only gripe with the Classic Buckle is that I have to be careful when washing my hands to not get it wet, since it's leather. I also have to take it off when washing dishes or doing any sort of cleaning that involves my forearms getting wet/submerged.

15. flur macrumors 68000

You can use leather cleaners and conditioners on the band. It's leather. If you're wiping it down with water on a regular basis, it will eventually need some conditioning. Sure, it's fine now, but you've only had it for a month (or less).

--

Yes, the band is great, it will totally hold up to daily use (the idea that it wouldn't because it's leather is a bit absurd - people have been wearing leather watch bands for a looong time, lol). And the band looks fine wherever on your arm you choose to wear it. I wear mine in the traditional watch location just behind the wrist knuckle and have never gotten it wet when washing my hands.

Also, I've had mine for a month, and have even worn it for light workouts, and have not had any issues.

16. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

True, but there is a reason most leather cleaners and conditioners instruct the user to try a small dab on a corner of the leather you are cleaning. They can have adverse effects on certain leather. Especially if you end up combining different leather cleaners over time.

17. KPOM macrumors G5

I'm very happy with the classic buckle. It wasn't my first choice, but since it was shipping sooner, I ordered it. In retrospect, it was a good choice. It feels nice and well built. I don't expect to get more than 1-2 years out of any leather strap, but this one feels like it should last 2 years quite easily. It hardly shows any wear after a month.

The leather itself feels fine. The sides feel a bit rubbery but look OK, as well. The actual buckle is quite nice and matches well with the stainless steel of the watch case.

----------

It's multiple strips glued together, like many leather straps (some higher end ones are stitched). Overall, I've noticed less wear and stretch marks than my experience from other leather strap watches I've worn.

18. flur macrumors 68000

Well of course you should always follow the directions on the cleaning/conditioning product you purchase. That should be self-evident.

19. gusping macrumors 6502

I had a classic buckle and took it back. Felt rather cheap and like plastic. Mine also had glue seeping out the side of it. It was a nice band but it just didn't feel like i would last more than a few months from my experience.

20. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

mine came with the classic buckle, not really digging it too much....

got a white sports band that i feel just goes better with the watch... thinking about getting a BSB as well....

wish they offered all the bands all around instead of the 38/42 exclusivity...

21. KPOM macrumors G5

It sounds like you had a defective band. Mine did not have any glue seeping from it. From my experience, no leather strap lasts more than about 2 years. After one month, mine looks almost new, and I think it should last about that long.

22. Banich2 macrumors regular

Actually, The watch I ordered and received came with the black classic buckle. It was beautiful when it came and looks great on. I even disagree with people saying it looks cheap without stitching. Last week or so Apple sent a survey asking about my experience with the watch. All of my feedback was overwhelmingly positive except when it came to the actual watch band. I've worn it for the past month for about 10 hours a day and it looks like crap. I don't get it dirty or wet, but it looks very, very worn in.

23. lk400 macrumors 6502a

That's interesting to know. Can you post a photo so I can compare to mine?

24. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I think you're crazy. The reason people say it looks "cheap" when it's new is because it's smooth and stiff. Just like when you buy a new pair of shoes. After you break it in and soften it up is when it will get that nice soft wrinkled texture. That's what everyone was disappointed that they don't get from the get go. They want the soft supple texture. And you DON'T like it and think it's a defect?

Newsflash, leather won't stay smooth and stiff for very long.