anyone have the maxed out retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skcrane, Jun 15, 2012.

1. skcrane macrumors member

anyone have the maxed out retina macbook pro. I am trying to decide I have definitely decided on the $2799 model and will increase the ram to 16gb since not ugradeable just trying to decide if the 768gb ssd is worth it and is it also upgradeable if it is not very easily or not at all will probably upgrade both the ram and ssd on the $2799 model.

2. jimmyz80 macrumors member

The way I figure, OWC will have a compatible SSD out shortly, so you can always upgrade the storage later (and it'll be cheaper then too). Just get the RAM you want now, and only splurge on the storage if you think you'll need it soon.

3. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Questionable as to whether it will be cheaper.

4. skcrane thread starter macrumors member

I am leaning toward getting the maxed out macbook pro retina my first ever maxed out mac. I just think I will like this computer and use it quite a while at least 3 years so I might as well get the maxed out version, and I am trading both my ipad and imac for it. I am looking forward to going back to laptop as I find when I had my laptop I did not use the ipad and when I had the imac I used the ipad more but missed the full keyboard and osx. I found a place that will order the maxed out with no tax and free shipping and accept the imac and ipad for trade.

5. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

I already posted this in another thread but I'm going to repeat it here...

I'm not sure if an aftermarket solution would be cheaper. The OWC 480GB (not even 512GB) blade SSDs for the Macbook Air (similar in type to the new MBP), $759 or $795 depending on the model. The 512GB model MBP is $600 more and includes a faster processor as well.

6. jshbckr macrumors 6502

This.

Think about it: OWC (macsales.com) makes a third-party SSD for the MacBook Air (somewhat similar to what the new RMBP uses) and it costs just under $800 for 480GB. So how much do you think they would charge for 768GB?

If you really want 768GB, I'd pay the $500 upgrade now instead of $1000+ later.

7. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I'm personally waiting for SDXC cards to bump up in capacity. They theoretically support up to 2TB of storage and 300MB/s read/write speed.

Now all we can find are 64GB and 128GB cards but that should change in the future. The prices are comparable to SSD and they add to your current storage instead of replacing it, and you obviously don't need to open your MBP and void your warranty.

8. jimmyz80 macrumors member

If you buy the 512GB model, that SSD blade would have some resale value to people who bought a 256GB model, so you could recoup some of that cost. You can't compare the cost of a 768GB blade to the cost of upgrading from a 512 to a 768, since you can sell the 512.

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Which isn't a great idea if you expect to be serviced by Apple down the road...

10. skcrane thread starter macrumors member

that is what I have been thinking and really it seems apple pricing is in line this time for ram and ssd just deciding if needed but really more for future proofing at this point I do have 400gb on my current imac and thinking someday would like increase space. I do think it would be important to have apple service it if needed you are already spending alot of money on laptop you may as well make it serviceable by apple. I will be getting applecare as well. I think if you do the upgrades yourself you might as well just pass on applecare. anyone have a comment on the 2.6 or 2.7 processor sounds like the 2.6 would be fine but if I am already upgrading ram and ssd might as well get processor??

11. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Lol... yeah. But they better. They'd be shooting themselves on the foot business wise and no one will buy 'em if it'll cost lesser to have the upgrade with Apple plus we have to go through the hassle of opening our machines.

12. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Look no further than the current MacBook Air options for guidance.

13. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

People still would buy them. If you bought the 256GB one and a month later it starts driving you crazy, and a genius won't go and upgrade it for you, you'd have no choice.

But the pricing seems bizarrely good for the bigger SSD. The 756GB upgrade is the same price as the 256GB upgrade in the iMac. (Although the iMac's default is much cheaper, which explains why to a degree)

14. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Those prices were positioned for Air owners (prior to Ivy Bridge Airs) who want to pay big $$$ for those who want 480GB. Apple didn't have anything higher than 256gb so basically people who have the cash are more than willing to throw away money because they want/need bigger than 256gb.

OWC is a business. For the new RMBP, why would they sell blade SSDs that will be more expensive than what Apple offers? You might be right I'm not gonna argue with that. But if OWC's gonna do that, good luck to them. :D

15. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Even if they are cheaper, the question becomes "Is the savings worth the potential negatives (re: warranty, etc)?"

It has to be cheap enough to offset the negatives and given the cost of SSDs and the fact that they are likely doing low volume, I wouldn't expect substantial savings.

16. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Agree.

Viable point. If your warranty or Apple care runs out, this is the only way to go.

17. bendrumin macrumors 6502

I ordered the maxed out version through my work account. Figured that it should be easy to come by once they start actually shipping.