Anyone have the MBP Failing Keyboard Problem THIS Bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Knolly, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Knolly macrumors 6502a

I know that the keyboard of MBP randomly stopping to work is a common problem... But riddle me this...

If I ever completely turn my computer off and turn it back on, it takes a FULL HOUR before either the keyboard or the trackpad respond at all. Can someone PLEASE tell me that my $2000 laptop should be able to perform better than this?

This is why I haven't turned off my MBP in a week or so now. The keyboard still gives out from 1-5 minutes every 5-20 minutes, but still, it's mainly the startup that destroys me.

2. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Have you tried contacting AppleCare? It's the first thing I would do especially as no one else seems to be suffering from the problem THAT badly. And if you have already what did they say?

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

This is what so many people, unfortunately, fail to realize. There is a very weak correlation between the amount of money you pay and the quality you receive. Much of that money goes into marketing schemes designed to convince you otherwise. But that doesn't make it any more true. Spending $2000 will not preclude you from purchasing an inferior machine if the company you buy it from pays more attention to marketing said machine than debugging it prior to release.

That said, try taking it into the Apple Store and seeing what they say. Even if you're past the 14-day period, as long as you're still within the 1 year mark, they might offer an exchange.

5. Knolly thread starter macrumors 6502a

I plan on bringing it in as soon as I can... Which translates to a little over a week. I'm currently at college and the nearest store is an hour or so away and I have no car so it's kind of tricky. But once I get home it's ON, haha.

I took it in last time I was home and they just said how it was a software issue, but that was before startups started taking more than an hour...

6. radman222 macrumors newbie

It is a software issue. Before dealing with Apple, do an archive-install of Leopard and see if the problem continues (before you install any other software). Then install your stuff one-by-one until you find the software.

7. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

Mine's been going out occasionaly recently but tonight it just died. Been trying to get it to work again for hours but no luck. I reset the PRAM and restored from the cd with a wipe and install and still nothing. Oh well, at least it has a 1 year warranty.

8. hibera macrumors newbie

Had the intermittent unresponsiveness of keyboard and trackpad for about a week. Then suddenly it died completely, tried to reboot a few times and managed somehow to get it back to working.
    My keyboard and trackpad again died completely two days ago. Still not working, I have tried several things; clear pram, apple hardware test, leave the computer without power over night, resetting SMC, etc.

I'm taking it in to the store for service today. We'll see what they say...

9. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I took mine in today. 5-7 business days to repair it. **** that I said. I need it for my job. I'll deal with using an external keyboard and mouse until Apple decides in their glorious wisdom to fix the problem.