Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeCNM

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2013
Yes, the microusb port is the mechanism for charging . It comes with a USB cord that plugs into the power brick or the computer. Charging via microusb from the computer takes forever, but it works.

I have a JBL Flip and really dislike carrying the A/C adapter. Is it safe to say that any microusb cable (plugged into the standard A/C Apple power gizmo or Kindle power gizmo) should work? In other words the A/C adapter they supply is a standard USB type of charger?

Thanks for your help!

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I have a JBL Flip and really dislike carrying the A/C adapter. Is it safe to say that any microusb cable (plugged into the standard A/C Apple power gizmo or Kindle power gizmo) should work? In other words the A/C adapter they supply is a standard USB type of charger?

Thanks for your help!

I haven't tried it but, sure, any micro USB should charge it. It just might take longer if its meant for like a phone or similar. I plan on using mine with my car charger when necessary.

JoeCNM

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2013
I haven't tried it but, sure, any micro USB should charge it. It just might take longer if its meant for like a phone or similar. I plan on using mine with my car charger when necessary.

Thank you. Makes sense.

misterbig

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2010
Yes, the microusb port is the mechanism for charging . It comes with a USB cord that plugs into the power brick or the computer. Charging via microusb from the computer takes forever, but it works.

Thanks for confirming! Since the A/C adapter is rated at 2-amps, I would suspect charging from a computer would take 4 times as long since computer USB ports only output 500mA. The CNet review suggested charging the JBL charge using an USB charger rated at 2A (like the iPad charger).

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks for confirming! Since the A/C adapter is rated at 2-amps, I would suspect charging from a computer would take 4 times as long since computer USB ports only output 500mA. The CNet review suggested charging the JBL charge using an USB charger rated at 2A (like the iPad charger).

Yeah, I never really understood why people complain about the time it takes to charge off USB. If you keep your computer on all the time, it draws the same power from the wall, thus essentially charging your device for "free." .... and what's the big deal, put it on when you go to bed and it's done when you wake up. No biggie. :)

JoeCNM

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2013
Has anyone had a chance to use two different devices to connect to the Charge? I'm wondering if it is a simple matter to switch between two iPhones. The Logitech UE Mobile Boombox claims that it can have two bluetooth connections going at the same time making it easy to switch back and forth. I wonder if this can be done with the Charge too. I'm trying to decide which bluetooth speaker gizmo to go with.

Thanks in advance.

Marc Sabatella

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2013
BTW, I bought my Charge at Best Buy. Their web site still shows no sign of it, and it wasn't on display at my local store as of a few days ago, but my store at least has had the units in a locked case been selling them to anyone who asks for at least a week.

To clarify: the Charge has *only* the micro USB port for charging - there is no other power input. Yes, any 2 amp input will work equally well, lower amperage may work but will be slower. Mac USB ports apparently have higher amperage than the standard calls for, PC users can download http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/ai_charger/ (not just for Asus PC's) to up the amperage of their USB ports. I've been using my iPad charger with the Charge, but it also appear to charge from my generic car charge as well as my Asus-enhanced PC USB ports.

Pairing: the Charge has no special mode for multiple pairing. You have to unpair from one device ("forget" from the phone, or by putting the Charge into pairing mode) in order to pair it with another. So if pairing to multiple devices is important, this is not the device for you - it can't do that. Ditto if you require speakerphone capabilities - it can't do that, either. Reading battery level from one's phone was mentioned as important to someone, although I can't really imagine why - but no, it can't do that, either.

What it *can* do is sound better and louder, and last longer, than anything else you'll find for under $200.

Compared to the Logitech UE Mobile Boombox - there is no comparison. The Charge just blows it away, easily verifiable in an in-store comparison (use the JBL Flip if Charge isn't out yet - they are very similar, although the Charge is slightly "fuller" in sound). To its credit, the UE Mobile might be close to as good as the Flip/Charge at lower volume levels, but lower volume levels is pretty much all you can get out of the UE Mobile Boombox. Now, it's bigger brother, the Logitech UE Boombox (no "Mobile" in the name), is another story - it's pretty amazing. But it also a different price range and rather less portable.

Compared to the Bose SoundLink II - based on my in store comparison with the Flip, I'd agree the Bose is better. But not leaps and bounds better - I'd say the Charge is closer in sound to the SoundLink II than it is to the UE Mobile Boombox. And I definitely don't hear the Bose as being enough better to justify the 2X difference in price, or to put up with proprietary charging or lower battery life (the whole reason I waited for the Charge rather than just buying the Flip a month ago).

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Has anyone had a chance to use two different devices to connect to the Charge? I'm wondering if it is a simple matter to switch between two iPhones. The Logitech UE Mobile Boombox claims that it can have two bluetooth connections going at the same time making it easy to switch back and forth. I wonder if this can be done with the Charge too. I'm trying to decide which bluetooth speaker gizmo to go with.

Thanks in advance.

I didn't have two connected at once but I've paired it with my iPhone and iPad. Worked well.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I just picked one of these up, and just.. wow. It's an amazing speaker!

A trick I discovered; if you want even stronger bass, stand the unit vertically on a table near a corner of the room. It will fill the room!

My only complaint is switching devices; if you want to pair a different device you have to hold down the power button on the speaker to initiate pairing, then connect. Other speakers I've seen just let you reconnect without pressing anything on the speaker.

ernieo2

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2013
JBL Charge and Skype

This may be a stupid question, but....
Since the Charge does not have a built in microphone will there be any problem using it for Skype calls as long as my Laptop and Tablet both have
their own built in microphones. I asked this question via e-mail on the JBL technical support site and below is the answer, which to me is certainly not clear. I told them I had a laptop and tablet, but they referred to a phone..which I do not have. Here is their answer.

"There are 2 possibilities in this case depending upon your phone:

1) If any bluetooth speaker is not having a microphone (consider Charge )and you try to use a service from your phone that will need involvemnt of the microphone and speaker simultaneosly either it will not send any audio signals to bluetooth speaker as the service needs both mic and speaker simultaneous involvement .

2)If the device is able to forward the audio / mic service it will completely forward it to speaker , so the mic of your phone will be disabled .

I hope this helps."

Marc Sabatella

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2013
I can't answer for your particular laptop or tablet when using Bluetooth - I imagine that's probably device-specific - but there is definitely no problem using the Charge or any other external speaker with Skype or any other app using a wired connection.

I can confirm the Charge doesn't work with Skype when connected via Bluetooth on my iPhone. Skype for iPhone apparently detects that a connected Bluetooth speaker doesn't have a microphone and refuses to use it at all. But again, I could easily believe that depends on the specific device you using. Skype for iPhone might make that check, but Skype for your tablet or tablet might not, and same for any other app.

But again, not an issue if you connect by wire.

JoeCNM

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2013
I just picked one of these up, and just.. wow. It's an amazing speaker!

A trick I discovered; if you want even stronger bass, stand the unit vertically on a table near a corner of the room. It will fill the room!

My only complaint is switching devices; if you want to pair a different device you have to hold down the power button on the speaker to initiate pairing, then connect. Other speakers I've seen just let you reconnect without pressing anything on the speaker.

I just picked up one as well. I'm very impressed. To switch devices I've had to kill bluetooth (on my iPad for example) and then go to the bluetooth settings on my iPhone and then connect to the JBL Charge.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I just picked up one as well. I'm very impressed. To switch devices I've had to kill bluetooth (on my iPad for example) and then go to the bluetooth settings on my iPhone and then connect to the JBL Charge.

Just hold down the power button on the charge and pair with the new device. You don't have to disable anything.

evergreens

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2013
So I had the JBL Flip... the sound blows away the Jambox (mini), the Logitech UE, the Beats Pill, and the Jabra Solemate, as well as all of the other mini bluetooth speakers I've tried.

Now I just saw the new JBL Charge, and I think I really want it. It improves the already best-in-catagory sound of the JBL Flip by adding bass and a 6000 mah internal battery that you can plug your lightning cable into and use to also charge the phone or ipad. This all per the advertisement.

Two questions... anyone have one? Any feedback?

And anyone find them in stock anywhere? The only place that seems to have them is JBL.com (forever shipping via ground to CA) and an Amazon Marketplace seller called World Wide Stereo, which I've never heard of.

Thanks!

I bought a JBL Charge last month at an Apple store. since then I saw this item in different Apple Stores and it seems that they are stockists. What I would like to know is whether the JBL Charge can be paired to an iMac. Can anyone help:confused:

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I bought a JBL Charge last month at an Apple store. since then I saw this item in different Apple Stores and it seems that they are stockists. What I would like to know is whether the JBL Charge can be paired to an iMac. Can anyone help:confused:

Never tried and not near a computer but its just a Bluetooth connection so I can't see why not.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011

Yes, it can, but if you're using it as an everyday speaker it can be annoying, because bluetooth speakers have an annoying "feature" that senses when no sound is present and goes into a sleep state and takes 1-2 seconds to wake, so if you get a ding or email notification, you won't hear it on the speaker. Just for playing music it gets the job done though.

CaptMike

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2012
Not Compatible Fully With Bionic

I have the Charge and love the style, weight, and sound.

I purchased it only to connect to my Motorola Bionic.

While it does pair with that phone, the volume of the Charge cannot be controlled via BT from that particular phone.

It does work fully with the iPhone, Galaxy S3/4

It is interesting to note that all the phones mentioned above have bluetooth version 2.1+EDR and the Charge is running V.3 which is backward compatible according to JBL tech support.

Beforescott

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2013
auto shut-off

Hi, looking at getting a JBL Charge for xmas.

I am sad that it cant be paired with multiple devices, but I can live with that.

Does it have an auto shut off? Will it time out after 10 or 30 minutes and not drain the whole battery if I forget it on?

CaptMike

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2012
Hi, looking at getting a JBL Charge for xmas.

I am sad that it cant be paired with multiple devices, but I can live with that.

Does it have an auto shut off? Will it time out after 10 or 30 minutes and not drain the whole battery if I forget it on?

It does not have a "auto shut off"

Beforescott

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks CaptMike!!!

Another thing. I know it doesn't support multiple simultaneous pairing. But can it remember being paired with multiple devices, and therefore just need to be selected from multiple devices? I am trying to find something easy to use with both my, and my wifes iPhones. I don't need to use it with multiple devices at the same time, just want to not have to start the pairing process over each time we switch from the wifes phones to mine. Does it remember multiple profiles?

CaptMike

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2012
Thanks CaptMike!!!

Another thing. I know it doesn't support multiple simultaneous pairing. But can it remember being paired with multiple devices, and therefore just need to be selected from multiple devices? I am trying to find something easy to use with both my, and my wifes iPhones. I don't need to use it with multiple devices at the same time, just want to not have to start the pairing process over each time we switch from the wifes phones to mine. Does it remember multiple profiles?

Hi Beforescott

Unfortunately I have only paired the device with my Galaxy Note 3 so I could not answer if it remembers pairings with other devices.

Beforescott

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks again CaptMike!

Anyone else try switching back and forth between paired devices that could answer my above question?

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Thanks again CaptMike!

Anyone else try switching back and forth between paired devices that could answer my above question?

Just need to press and hold the power button on the Charge until it beeps and it will look for the other device. Swap between me and my wife's phones often. Very easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.