Anyone have the Reach79 antenna case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by lavrishevo, Jan 25, 2015.

1. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

2. blaine07 macrumors 65816

3. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Did you bother looking at the review from Walt Mossberg? It is not a gimmick but results have varied. I will post some results when I get mine in. Walt tested on Verizon.

4. blaine07 macrumors 65816

Yes. All but said it was junk but didn't want to hurt feelings? Results inconclusive and all over.

5. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I would not call his review junk. Anyway, I was interested in hearing from people who actually have the product.

6. J.C macrumors 6502

He didn't. He said Walt all but called the product junk.

7. lavrishevo, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015

lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Maybe there is a reading comprehension problem. I suggest you re-read the article. Anyway, I will post some results when it finally arrives.

Edit: Good news. It appears to be working. I'm going inbetween 2 bars without case to 3 bars with the case and better data speed too.

Attached Files:

8. lavrishevo, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015

lavrishevo

Data increase. Top is with case on. Bottom is off.

Attached Files:

9. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Repeated runs (more data) would solidify the claims better. Have you run repeated back to back tests?

10. long86 macrumors member

Thanks for posting your results. I had a Pong Case for about 2 weeks. It's made by the same company and claims to boost the signal. After repeated tests, it was inconclusive on whether it helped at all. There were times that the download speeds were actually slower with the case on. I ended up returning but am interested in this case if it proves to really boost the signal. I agree with the poster above, repeated tests in different areas would be great.

11. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Thanks for sharing you experience with the similar Pong case. Most of the results/reports I've read or seen on these cases are much like yours. There's usually a variation in both directions that could easily be the usual fluctuations we see normally without using a special signal booster style case.

One example I have is at my doctors office, which is a pretty weak signal, I often get 4G, now and the low LTE, but occasionally Edge. This is all in the same seat near the same window. If I was popping one of these cases on and off it would just confuse matters even more.

I suppose a moderately signal would be best for testing, but it would also need to be tested sans-case for consistency first.

12. lavrishevo, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015

lavrishevo

Since my case arrived Friday evening I'm not able to test at my office. That will be the real test Monday.

Here is another test:

Bottom two with case off, top with case on. The increase in upload speeds has been interesting. Slight increase in latency but also increase in speed. The most consistent data wise has been upload speed increase. So far I can't get below 2 bars. The phone seems to be connecting calls faster.

Attached Files:

13. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

14. mellofello macrumors 65816

Interesting. Ads for these have been all over my FB newsfeed. Wrote it off as snake oil. If you have the time and the data plan try doing 5 back to back tests on/off. 2 results is still not a trend imo.

15. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Another interesting result. In an area with good signal I was getting less download but almost 2x upload. I noticed with the case on the download speed took longer to climb to max and speed test stops before it gets to the max.

Bottom 2 with case off.

Attached Files:

16. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Another with the case on in the same spot. Speed test is not the most consistent. The increase in upload speed has been consistent and slight increase of latency.

Attached Files:

17. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Good news. The signal is definitely better at my office. I have not been able to get the phone to loose signal and normally this was quite easy. It will drop down to 1 bar but I am still staying connected at -118 db in the worst spots. Whatever the case is doing it is working for me.