Anyone have the triple.fi 10 vi?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by LAN Shark, Aug 14, 2008.

1. LAN Shark macrumors newbie

I just noticed from the Ultimate Ears website that there is a triple.fi 10vi headset. I am a proud owner of the super.fi 4vi but admit that a single armature can only go so far. The triple.fi 10vi must be a recent addition to their product line because I can't find any other companies selling them and no reviews have been posted. Does anyone here own these and would care to share their impressions?

I will definitely be purchasing these as soon as they start getting good reviews and show up on apple or amazon. Looking forward to three armatures!

2. the-edge2010 macrumors newbie

I don't know exactly how important it is to have the ability to answer phone calls without having to take the iphone out of your pocket, but I personally own both the triple-fi 10's and the SHURE SE530's, and the Shures blow the triple-fi's out of the water. Here is a short comparison:
    1. Fit and comfort: the Shures are very comfortable and kidney bean shaped, so they rest in the ear canals and also come with a better fit kit. The triple-fi's stick straight out of your ears and look kind of "alien" and do not fit in some ears.
    2. Sound quality: The Shure's have three drivers just like the triple-fi's, but the Shure's are tuned much better and music sounds more natural and life-like. The triple-fi's have deeper bass, but it is slightly unrealistic and distorted, and the mids and highs sound muffled and hallow compared to the Shure's. The ONLY type of music I prefer to listen to with the triple-fi's is Rap/Hip-Hop, b/c of the deeper bass. However I do loose a bit of the "poppiness" of the music that I get with the Shure's so it is a trade off.'
    3. Warranty/Customer Service: Both sets come with a 2 year warranty, but if you have a problem with the Shure's you will get shipped a brand new pair to swap your earbuds with, but with the triple-fi's, Ultimate Ears will repair the pair you own, so you will be without them for a bit.
    4. Accessories: The Shure's come with a better fit kit (better assortment of sleeves/materials the sleeves are made of), so many people find the Shure's to be more comfortable and fit in their ears better. The Shure's also come with a PTH module (Push To Hear) which I find to work pretty well in certain situations. The module is a small microphone and switch/battery-pack, that you can use to hear the outside world/have conversations with people, with out having to take the earbuds out of your ears. Both sets of earbuds are "Noise-Isolating" so if you have them in your ears properly you WILL NOT be able to hear the outside world. So having the ability to flip a switch to hear anything you would need to is a very neat feature. The only downside is that the switch is a little on the large side, but if you are like me and wear alot of untucked shirts, then I just clip it on my belt and let my shirt hang over it, and then you cant even tell that its there. It can easily fit in your pocket, it just makes getting to the switch to flip it, take a bit longer.
    5. Price: The Shure's might be $50 more than the Ultimate Ear's depending on whether you want the PTH module or not, but both sets of earbuds fall into the "money is no object" category b/c both sets are extremly high-end and both sound amazing compared to any other earbud manufacturers. I am simply comparing these two models to each other.
    6. Overall: I would give the Shure's a score of 9.5/10 and the Triple-Fi's a score of 8.2/10. I bought the Triple-Fi's before I purchased the SE530's and at the time I could not imagine anything sounding better than the Triple-Fi's. But then I found the SE530's at a Home-Theater store that was going out of buisness, so I got a really good deal on them, and when I first popped them in my ears, I could not believe the difference. To me, it was night and day.

I don't know if you know this, but you can answer the phone and have a conversation without taking the earbuds out of your ears. All you have to do is answer the call with the phone itself, and then the caller's voice will come out of the earbuds and you can hold the phone at waist level and speak and the caller will be able to hear you just fine. I do it all the time. I hope this little review helps.

3. celavato macrumors regular

Thank you for the review. The more important feature for me is the ability to skip to the next song without taking the iPhone out of my pocket.

4. LbrTradr macrumors member

I have the super.fi 10 vi (upgraded from the super.fi 5 pro). I have never listened to the Shure's but I understand they are very good as well. I won't hash over the quality of the super.fi 10's because there are reviews all over the place, however with the vi's come the new cords for the iPhone and to me they are perfection. Just the right length for me. They have a mic just in the right place and a button to answer calls or to mute the iPod. If you double click the button it will skip songs. Now I need to wait for Ultimate Ears to market the cords alone so I can pick one up for my super.fi 5 pro's.

Way to go Ultimate Ears

5. iBrody macrumors 6502

The cords on their own would be great, if the choice was there I would rather spend less money on a pair of Super.fi 5 Pro's than the Triple 10's (as I don't think you would get the most out of the Triple 10's, being used on an iphone with music ripped to mp3 to 320kbps).

Do you have any pics of the Triples in use? A lot of reviews state that these are pretty big earphones and I would like to judge for myself (just in case I decide to get a pair). Thanks

6. LbrTradr macrumors member

The triple.fi 10's are slightly larger than my super.fi 5 pro's, maybe 10%. If you run the cables over your ear the earphones stick out (like on the UE website. If you look at the webside closely I believe the model has the right earphone in his left ear. When you have the left earphone in the left ear and the cables running down you will not see the UE logo. I don't know why UE did this on their website. If you wear them with the cables running down and in the correct ears, they don't stick out too much (for me anyway). The earphones are slightly angled to tuck back towards the ear. I hope this helps.

7. celavato macrumors regular

Yeah, they're big -- bigger than the Super.fi Pro 5, which are big in their own right. I don't think UE has much choice (as of September 2008). Multiple driver earphones I've tried with smaller components just don't sound as good. Someday, we'll get there (wireless too). Other cons: Price, black cord (I prefer clear or white, which is less noticeable), cord microphonics, cord does not detach like the Super.fi Pro 5.

Pros

Fit: Although they use the same eartips as the Super.fi Pro 5, they seem to fit better. I use the medium tips.

Isolation: I took my 10vi out for its maiden voyage very early this morning around Manhattan. Granted, even Manhattan is pretty quiet on a Sunday morning, but the isolation was very good thanks to the fit.

Sound: At home I compared them with my Super.fi Pro 5. At first, they sounded the same and I thought, "Well, at least I've got the iPhone features." But when I played Tom Petty's "Ankle Deep," a very well-engineered track, the difference was apparent. The 10vi had noticeably better imaging. So if you're listening to music recorded in recent years you'll notice a difference. (And maybe with other forms of music, which I haven't tried yet.)

Efficiency: Both earphones seemed equally efficient though the Triple.fi has a higher impedance (I don't really know what that means, but I think it relates to volume). Placing the volume slider between the two previous arrows on my iPhone provides more than enough volume for me on newer recordings. (I wish we could see the decibel readings on the iPhone at different volumes so that we could be more proactive about saving our hearing.)

Durable: The build quality on these looks as great as always though I just used them for the first time today so time will tell.

Clicker: The clicker works like a charm to skip to the next song. I haven't tried a phone call yet.

No Filter: A growing number of earphones use user-replaceable filters. UE does not (in these at least) -- a big plus. These filters are a major hassle and strike me as a way to separate you from more of your cash. Just give me a cleaning tool. I hope more and more people vote with their wallets to tell the industry that we don't want to replace filters every few weeks.

Overall

If you have an iPhone, can justify the price, and don't mind looking a little dorky, I recommend the 10vi. If you have an iPod, save some money and buy the Super.fi Pro 5.

8. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

THESE THINGS ARE ON A ONE-DAY SALE FOR ONLY $99 AT AMAZON TODAY!!! HOLY CR@P THAT"S A DEAL!

Just wanted to chime in - buy now, discuss later :D. Just grabbed mine.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes they are.

10. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Well, I bought myself a pair. When I saw the deal, I was really nervous they would be sold out or something, but nope... no big deal... easy purchase. I bought the q-jays about six weeks ago so I'll have to compare the two and decide which one to keep. Any insight, Jessica?

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I am very tempted. I have the Apple in-ears and quite frankly with the memory foam tips I've put on them they're fantastic. But for $100 I am half tempted to try and buy then try and sell them off. I really do not need another pair of in-ears. I'm actually looking to buy some over-the-ears for recording.

They are highly regarded in ears though. Once the West coast wakes up you can pretty much bet these will go. I'm just not sure I need yet another pair. :)

12. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

As a west coaster myself, i'm quite thankful that I woke up on the east coast this morning for business travel!

13. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I just picked these up. Regardless of how they compare to the Shure's, you cannot argue the price point for a triple driver set.

14. drlau9 macrumors newbie

Triple Fi 10 pro

I too have these headphones and was thoroughly disappointed when I moved to Shures, I originally had the super fi 5 the moved to Shure's SE420's and then later the 5 series which was better but felt that the bass was overly exaggerated. The fit kit that comes with Shure's are very very good however I started to have problems with the Iem's after eight months, due to the nature of British weather the cable is exposed to sudden temperature change causing the rubber to gradually crack. This was replaced under warranty however I sold the headphones promptly as I can see this happening in the future.

And now I'm back using UE triple fi 10 vi with the same warranty plus replaceable cables. I now listen to my high fidelity lossless music without having to worry about damaging cables, (touch wood) the earpieces are tough as. Also I use Shure's olives on my TF10 Vi and feels v. comfortable in the ear.

15. beseo macrumors newbie

http://amzn.to/UltimateEarsTripleFi10
    First, let me mention that i've tried earphones out in the past and found them to be extremely uncomfortable in most cases. The Bose earphones are comfortable, but they don't go very far in your ear. The Shure E3C didn't sound good and they hurt so much they were unusable. After that experience I skipped out on earphones for a long time.

For the past few years i've been trying and using many different headphones. My favorite of the last year has been the AKG 701. They're huge and really need a good headphone amp. Don't laugh, but my main source of audio is an ipod touch using a headphone amp and Lossless audio. WAV format or Apple Lossless. If it's MP3, it's 320kbps.

I wanted to downsize my setup a bit for some uses, so I needed something smaller that could work well without a headphone amp.

Did maybe two days of research and found these and was shocked at how many good reviews on Amazon there was for these (the old listing). That's not very common with earphones it seems. It was a hard decision to go with these over a similar Shure model. The size of these ALMOST made me not get them. Please don't let the size keep you from getting them. It's not a problem. The other Shure model also seemed to have more Bass (according to reviews). That's a negative for me. I don't like any extra bass usually. That's one reason I love the AKG 701's. They have a perfect balance of everything.

Ok, with that out of the way I bought these and immediately found that even the smallest ear piece was too large and hurt my ears after just a few minutes of use. I'm not really a small person, but I was surprised that the small ear piece was a tight fit. Sony earbuds come with a small sized one that would work perfect, but I didn't want to risk it.

I tried the (old, not Comply) foam piece and it was defective! The foam was not glued on properly to the plastic insert. Imagine if I did not notice this! I'd be prying that thing out with tweezers perhaps. UPDATE: Ultimate Ears now includes Comply Foam inserts. Those things are the best! ZERO pain at all EVER. Not once in a year. Previously they were a separate purchase.

Be sure that when you use these to make sure the wire goes on TOP and back around the ear! It's a bit different than other earphones. They have a video on their website of how to insert them properly. It actually helps! Bring them from back behind the ear FIRST.

The nice thing about these is that they feel like an earbud with the ear clip. The wire that goes above and around your ear is really stiff and kind of keeps the earbuds in your ear.

I'm not good at describing the sound, but with earphones or headphones it's best to pick something that sounds good to YOU. Many times i've picked up headphones based on suggestions and they just didn't have my preferred sound. They either had too much bass or were too bright or had too much coloration. To me the sound from these just sounds perfect. Not to sound corny, but the sound is pleasing to the ears and there's not too much of anything at all. Perfect everything. To me, the sound is almost similar to that of the AKG 701, which is probably around the same price. With these those you really feel like your right there in the studio. I can't say that about any other headphone/earphone. Not even Grado stuff.

If your wondering what else i've tried before getting these. I've owned Sennheiser HD-555's, 580s and 650's. Beyerdynamic DT-990s, Grado SR-60, Grado 325i, AKG 701 and lots of other's.

For portable use SR-60's are good for some types of music, but I don't like the design, although it was my preferred headphone for portable players maybe.

AKG 701 was without a doubt my favorite headphone. Some may not like them, but it's my preferred type of sound. Second favorite were the Beyers of course.

Purchased the Grado 325i two months before the Ultimate Ears and thought they were good on some music, but terrible on others. They stress my ears out too much and I can't wear them for more than an hour. I think there can be such a thing as too much detail!

So now these are my new current main earphone/headphone. Believe it or not they can be used on an Ipod or Sansa View without a headphone amp. Of course they will sound better with an amp, but it's not always needed. Thanks to these new earphones i've now converted some of my old CDs that were ripped to mp3 back to WAV or Lossless.

Is the price too high? I don't think so at all. Never once felt like they were too expensive after using them for a week. I've compared them to many other headphones/earphones and they sound just as good as any other similar priced model.

Had the foam insert defect and that isn't enough to knock off a point. I've used these since July of 2008 and the build quality has been perfect. Only a month ago did I realize that the cable is user replaceable. I did not even realize this until I pulled it apart myself and plugged it back in. I seriously think if these ever die, i'll just replace them with the exact same thing. I like them that much. All music sounds good with these, but i'd like to try a similar Shure model just to compare them. On my new Ipod Touch they sound fine without a headphone amp. Using an amp makes them sound ever better, but it's not needed. Just a note, if you use a headphone amp with these, don't use rechargeable batteries. It degrades the sound quality. No lie!

I'm sorry, but as much as i'd like to come up with some more negatives, I can't. These are very good! Best i've tried yet. After hearing these I doubt i'll ever go back to regular headphones.
    UPDATE: After a year i've now finally come up with one extremely minor negative. They are a somewhat big. Maybe in a few years UE can do a redesign and find a way to make them smaller. It's not a big deal.
    http://amzn.to/UltimateEarsTripleFi10

16. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

17. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

Lol, yeah by over a year.

18. LbrTradr macrumors member

Yes but you can still pick them up at $158 plus $5 shipping on Amazon. That's still a great deal.

19. Hervboo macrumors member

Hervboo

Actually, Amazon had another sale on these IEM's for $95 on 11/27/10.

20. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

only the non mic ones are 189$ ,, the ones with the mic are 350

21. LbrTradr macrumors member

Actually they are $258. However you can pick up the ones w/o the mic for $189 and order new cables w/mic from UE for $20.00.

Good luck

22. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

just received them, fell in love with the clear highs and booming lows.. never thought music into my ears could be this clear ( and dangerously loud.. might need to limit how loud i play music now lol)

I got them for 96 shipped, and today I ordered the replacement cable that comes with the microphone for $20 ( fully compatible)

total cost of $120 for some $400+ headphones :cool:

23. iBrody macrumors 6502

May as well order another set of vi cables, as they will innevitably break within the first 6 months!

Just sayin

Glad you liked yours, I returned mine after 4 months for a refund because of the cable problem; if the vi cable was better made then I would probably still be using them now. I did however find that the highs were a little shrill on certain albums compared to my IE8's. But if you're not into having the volume too loud then it might not be a problem for you.

24. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

I listened to my friends ie8's when he got them on sale (2-300) for $400 IEM they sounded way too murky, too much mid, didn't sound that much better than a lot of more expensive single driver "prosumer" iems I had listened to before

the triple fi just sound so much better, crisp highs, crisp lows, nothing sounds murky

you can't fix bass that is too loose
    you can however fix highs that are too high by using a membrane (you can buy comply earbuds with such a membrane) or I've heard replacing the cable with a null brand one also lowers the highs

I really don't care about durability. sounds a bit crazy to use $400 headphones for daily use, that's what my Er6is are for

25. LbrTradr macrumors member