Anyone have this issue when pulling a drive out of an enclosure?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by savoirfaire, Mar 19, 2014.

1. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

So I bought a 4TB Seagate USB 3.0 drive that I plugged in yesterday. When I plugged it in, a windows popped up saying "the disk you have inserted is not readable by this computer". I checked Disk Utility and it was formatted in NTFS so I just reformat as Mac OS Extended, no biggie. Once that's done, it asks if I want to use it as a Time Machine backup, and I say no. Then I cloned my old 3TB drive onto the 4TB drive using Carbon Copy Cloner which took forEVER (like 24 hours because my machine only has USB 2.0).

This evening, I pulled out the 4TB drive and put it into my machine. When I booted it up, it said "the disk you have inserted is not readable by this computer". I checked Disk Utility and it is formatted in Mac OS Extended but for some reason not readible. I tried to repair the disk, but it couldn't. I couldn't figure out the problem, so I had to reformat (again it asked if I want to use it as a Time Machine backup... no) then just restarted the cloning process again, this time with both drives plugged into SATA ports.

What happened with pulling out the drive that made it unreadable? I've never had that happen before.

2. savoirfaire thread starter macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

Oh, well, it's reformatted and recloned now anyway. Hope that will not be a problem again.

3. Eithanius macrumors 65816

I do hope this is not a drive with a separate enclosure... :confused:

4. savoirfaire thread starter macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

I'm not sure what you mean. I needed a replacement for my drive, and the cheapest option available was the Seagate USB 3.0 drive rather than a bare drive, so I opened the enclosure, pulled out the Seagate 4TB drive, and now it is living in my Mac.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Is it a Backup+unit? If so, it has custom firmware which I think is based on the enclosures hardware.....Once you've done it twice you should be okay....I bought the 4TB version and left it in it's enclosure, disabling all the junk features but retaining the firmware updater, which incidentally DID have an update when I first installed it...Like your's, mine was formatted for Windows but no problem there.

It might be worth updating the drive from the Seagate site.

6. savoirfaire thread starter macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

It's an "Expansion" unit, but you're right, it may be that the enclosure has some sort of custom firmware. So far, after reformatting a second time with the drive plugged into an SATA port, the drive is working fine...