Anyone have this issue with internet connection?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andywithmacpro, Mar 30, 2011.

1. andywithmacpro macrumors newbie

Hello all, just wondering if anyone has occasional dropped connection with plugged in ethernet. Numerous times a day my connection will drop, I check settings and the line will fail for a few moments to about 10 minutes. I have an old Dell that holds connection. Any ideas? Thanks

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

The Dell holding connection is not a valid test, since it's not using the same cable the Mac is. Tried pinging or tracing the route to see where it's dropping to start.

3. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Swap cabling and test to rule that out, also swap ports as it could be a port on the router/switch. Is your ip DHCP assigned and it is getting recycled???

4. andywithmacpro thread starter macrumors newbie

My connection is at apartment where the net is part of rent, I just plug into wall outlet. (so there is no way to check if router has issues) I have heard of pinging, but have never done it before. Any assistance would be much appreciated, thanks.

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

network utility in /Applications/Utilities/ should suffice for testing, its really easy to use :)

when the connection drops just try to ping and traceroute a website. this might show where the problem occurs.

edit: simpler, did you ask any of your neighbors if they have any problems?

6. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Comcast?

They're always dropping my connection...

7. andywithmacpro thread starter macrumors newbie

8. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

So am I, also with Comcast. Happens to my connection, but not on a daily occurrence. I've noticed it on several different days over the past 6 months. I figure they're working on the lines in my area since there is construction going on within a few miles of where I live.