Anyone have this problem with Disk Utility under Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by rwd hero, Aug 30, 2011.

1. rwd hero, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2011

rwd hero macrumors 6502

I opened lion last night to set up a new Time Machine and got this message.

[​IMG]

Disk Utility worked fine, but the message pops up every time its opened. I looked, but I cant find a way to update Disk utility. Any suggestions?

2. DESNOS, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

DESNOS macrumors 6502

Did you do any restores at any point for the Applications folder? You must have replaced disk utility with a backed up version at some point. It could be dangerous using disk utility till you fix this problem. Apple made some major changes that older versions of disk utility won't know about.
    EDIT: Wait a sec... Why is that on the desktop? It should be in your utilities folder. You must have moved it at some point. Get the copy in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder and use that. You really shouldn't relocate basic system applications like that. Make a shortcut instead. Don't move that old copy back into the utilities folder. Delete it. It was probably there since snow leopard, am I right?

3. treestar macrumors 6502

Good eye, DESNOS.

4. rwd hero thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome, yea it has been there for a while because i was using it a decent amount. I will make those changes right now, thank you very much.

5. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

kinda strange to have all those apps on your desktop too...thats what the applications folder and the wonderful included app launcher called Spotlight are for :)

6. treestar macrumors 6502

Leave him/her alone!

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

They're actually right. For one thing, it looks like leaving the applications on the desktop may have caused this issue. For another, applications should be in the applications folder as things just work better this way. It's not a hard and fast rule, but it's a good idea.

8. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

aye, if they've been located there from prior to an upgrade to Lion then chances are they're SL versions - Lion upgrade install cheerfully ignored any copies of SL utils that I had in non standard directories (leaving me with both Lion ones in Apps and Apps/Utils and the SL versions that were in those other locations)

9. rwd hero thread starter macrumors 6502

I never had a problem with SL, and there was no Launch Pad before Lion. These apps are the ones I use often, and it was a little inconvenient to have to go to finder, apps, then locate the app i use. Why not just leave it on the desktop? All of that space is just wasted.

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Because the Desktop is not the place for applications. For one thing, the more icons you have on the Desktop the more it affects performance because the system has to draw all those icons. For another, you avoid problems like the one you're having now.

There are other ways to avoid the inconvenience of navigating to the app via the Finder. You could put the Applications folder in the Dock. You can use an application launcher like Quicksilver or Alfred. With those, I can launch any application on my system in less time than it takes to clear the windows away from the Desktop and launch an application stored there.

Applications aren't designed to be moved around. They store preferences and other supporting files in the Library folders, and those expect to find the application where it was last launched. You run the risk of breaking those links when you move applications around.

11. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

My Lion install has been quite reliable thus far. There are features I don't care for but that just my preferences.