Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xvigauge

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2016
Mulberry, Florida
I have a brand new MacBook Pro. I have noticed that when typing fairly fast, about 80% of the time, when I intend to type a capital letter, I will get a lower case letter instead. I realize that I hit the shift key very lightly and if my finger comes off the shift key a fraction of a second before I hit the letter, there will be a lower case letter instead of a capital one. I have never had this problem with any other key board. When I slow down and consciously hit the shift key I always get a capital letter. Is there something wrong with my keyboard?
xvigauge

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I have a brand new MacBook Pro. I have noticed that when typing fairly fast, boy 80% of the time, when I intend to type a capital letter, I will get a lower case letter instead. I realize that I hit the shift key very lightly and if my finger comes off the shift key a fraction of a second before I hit the letter, there will be a lower case letter instead of a capital one. I have never had this problem with any other key board. When I slow down and consciously hit the shift key I always get a capital letter. Is there something wrong with my keyboard?
xvigauge
That's what you get with low-travel keyboards.

If you look at reviews, there are many complaints about the new keyboard. For example "second most polarizing thing about the MacBook is probably its keyboard, which is firm, clicky, and full-sized but has significantly shallower key travel compared to the standard chiclet keyboard that ships in the other MacBooks".

Yes, there is something wrong with your keyboard. It's called "form over function". Get a Lenovo if you want a great keyboard - get an Apple if you want a thin keyboard.

Reactions: chriz_r

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2016
I have a brand new MacBook Pro. I have noticed that when typing fairly fast, about 80% of the time, when I intend to type a capital letter, I will get a lower case letter instead. I realize that I hit the shift key very lightly and if my finger comes off the shift key a fraction of a second before I hit the letter, there will be a lower case letter instead of a capital one. I have never had this problem with any other key board. When I slow down and consciously hit the shift key I always get a capital letter. Is there something wrong with my keyboard?
xvigauge

Also having this issue, thought I was just typing unusually bad for a few days. In fact, all modifier keys seem to be rather indifferent to their duties since Sierra, specifically 10.2.2. I use modifiers continually in Adobe software and they just aren't getting triggered about 25-30% of the time. This is outside of Adobe software too, just more noticeable there.

Also, since 10.2.2 setting any modifier like Key Caps=No Action is reset back to default after every reboot.

xvigauge

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2016
Mulberry, Florida
Wrong forum?

I don't know. Then you tell me which forum it should go to. You should know. You have been here for eight years and I have been here for a couple of months. I debated which forum it should go to and because I am asking a question about a Mac Pro, I posted it to the Mac Pro forum. I am still learning about MacBooks and about this forum. Give me a break man.
xvigauge

Chicane-UK

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
I don't know. Then you tell me which forum it should go to. You should know. You have been here for eight years and I have been here for a couple of months. I debated which forum it should go to and because I am asking a question about a Mac Pro, I posted it to the Mac Pro forum. I am still learning about MacBooks and about this forum. Give me a break man.
xvigauge

Dude - consider drinking decaf. It wasn't intended as an insult and was really more for a moderator to notice and hopefully move it. The forums here are laid out pretty clearly though:

https://forums.macrumors.com/#macs.7

You'll see there are sections for laptop and desktop Macs. And for the laptop Macs there is a MacBook Pro section :)

Reactions: thefredelement

xvigauge

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2016
Mulberry, Florida
OK, Chicane-UK. Now i know. And I was looking at the Laptop MacBook Pro section and inadvertently clicked on the DeskTop section. Though the forum is clearly laid out, it is rather cluttered as there are many sections. I don't mean that in a negative way, but a new comer can be confused by all of it. Sorry to ruffle any feathers. I am just a little miffed by my problem with my shift key. But I do think it is more of a problem with the "shifter" (me) than with the key itself.
xvigauge

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.