Anyone have this text off O2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by draperm25, Jan 23, 2009.

1. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

Hi all,

I was just wondering did anyone else have a text off o2 like this one? (The bottom Text im talking about) I dont know why i have received it as i have only ever used my iPhone simcard in my iPhone and its not jailbroken. Perhaps they just send a blanket text to alot of people.

Perhaps people are using their iPhone simcard in other phones perhaps?

Oh well just thought i would ask?

P.S. Sorry if this is in there wrong thread. Please move if it is.

[​IMG]

2. Volka macrumors newbie

I'm on o2 Pay & Go and haven't received such a text message. Maybe your data use is particularly high and they are suspicious. I'm not sure how they can even tell what phone you're using..

3. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

It's very easy to do so. They just look at the TAC.

4. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

I'm on o2 contract and not received any text like that.

5. draperm25 thread starter macrumors regular

draperm25

I can't say that my data usage is really high as I only use it about 20mins (if that) of my data, I mainly use safari and all other thing that need the data, in the house using my wifi connection, that's how I found it a bit strange that I recieved it.

6. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

It could just be a preemptive warning text to scare people who do swap SIMs.

If you're using the iPhone SIM in an iPhone though, I wouldn't worry about it.

7. synagence macrumors 6502a

The network can, although don't usually, determine the phone being used with a SIM ... they might have started seeing a higher proportion of users switching phones regularly and are just warning..

I guess you could phone them and ask

8. O2-guy macrumors newbie

Hi there. I work for O2 and I can tell you this text is in response to the amount of SIM cards from P&G iPhones that are appearing on ebay and such like. Eventually all P&G iPhone users on O2 will receive it.

If you only use your SIM in an iPhone then you have nothing to worry about. Anyone not using the SIM in the iPhone will simply have their tariff changed to a standard tariff that doesn't include the free 12 months unlimited data and wifi.

Every phone that connects to every network in the world includes IMEI info every time it connects, so device type can easily be identified by the network.

9. draperm25 thread starter macrumors regular

draperm25

Well, I'm not that bothered as I don't use any other phone so.

I think I may have received that text cos I put my simcard into my old SEk700i for about 10 mins cos I couldn't get the new mms app to work on my iPhone, so i was having my wife to send me a mms from her phone to see if it was just my iPhone. But after reading on here then, I read that I had to phone o2 and get them to set it up so I get the notifications for mms with the link.

Perhaps that's why I got a text?