Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Wondering if any early adopters have had their battery fail yet. Also, is there an app that can tell you battery health for the watch?

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
been wondering the same. Mine is bad at this time, but that's since the last FW updated, I think it's related to that. But it has caused me to wonder about this and go back to wearing my Swiss automatic watch for now that I've had since about 2001.

Reactions: ajm222

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I'm curious about this as well. Mine is a day 1 pre-order and I've been using it every day since I received it and I'm sure it's got plenty of cycles on it's little battery. But it still ends the day around 40-60% quite reliably. There have been some days where it's totally died by late afternoon but I'd chalk that up to a bug in the firmware keeping the cpu active or something as it's an outlier.

Right now I've only had a few notifications today so it's mostly been idle and it's still at 96% at 2:30 PM. A typical day will see lots of SMS/Email notifications and checking the weather, sometimes heart rate, responding with Siri, and lots of checking the calendar. I don't think I've ever had a single day where (other than the once every few month battery bug) it's totally died on me in one single day. I've gone two days before when on a short weekend trip without my charger and been fine. Down to the single digits but still, two days wasn't bad.

I know it will eventually wear out though, and I'd love something like coconutBattery for AW. Works well on the Mac and iOS devices to show cycles and wear levels. Something like that would be great. It'd probably have to be an app or something that used the diagnostic port though or used BT/WiFi since the USB cable as far as I know is just for charging.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I imagine one could have it tested at an Apple store to see if there are issues. Also wondering if maybe the iphone is gathering data about the watch's battery and if they can find out by checking the phone, maybe by chat via a diagnostic reading. Wondering about longevity as of course I just spent a boatload on an Apple Watch. probably a good sign that there has been so little talk about battery replacement. And I think we're still under 2 years since the original was released, right? But you'd still think there would be some defects or people using the watch in such a way as to hasten the expiration of the battery. I'd also be interested in how they replace the battery. Everything seems sealed up pretty good.
[doublepost=1486413744][/doublepost]actually, it looks like they might go through the screen (based on an ifixit guide) after warming up the adhesive.

Reactions: 44267547

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I'd assume they have diagnostic tools to test it yes. And that's a good question, I know they can remotely log lots of things with the built in diagnostic apps via Apple Support.

As far as replacing it, here's a guide on iFixit on how it would be preformed. At least by a third party, Apple may have their own way. Replacement via Apple costs $79 for all models from what I saw here. Not cheap but when you've payed some $430 including tax for a 42mm Sport even it doesn't sound too crazy. But when it does go bad in a few more years or so who knows what it would even be worth at that point. Mine's already worth maybe $150 if that with it's scratches on it and such.

Find out when it starts happening on a more regular basis I suppose.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Battery replacement = $79...maybe every 3-5 yrs.

Swiss watch service = $400-800+ every 3-5 yrs.

Everything is relative. You can replace your battery AND buy a new Apple Watch every 3 years and be equal (or cheaper depending on SS vs. Alu) to Swiss maintenance. :D

(My iPhone 5s battery was still 90% at 3 years of age before i traded it in.)

I have mine since launch. Battery still good. Yes, you can call Apple Support and have them run battery diagnostics on your Watch...it's free.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'd assume they have diagnostic tools to test it yes. And that's a good question, I know they can remotely log lots of things with the built in diagnostic apps via Apple Support.

As far as replacing it, here's a guide on iFixit on how it would be preformed. At least by a third party, Apple may have their own way. Replacement via Apple costs $79 for all models from what I saw here. Not cheap but when you've payed some $430 including tax for a 42mm Sport even it doesn't sound too crazy. But when it does go bad in a few more years or so who knows what it would even be worth at that point. Mine's already worth maybe $150 if that with it's scratches on it and such.

Find out when it starts happening on a more regular basis I suppose.

Yes, Apple can run a diagnostic on the battery. And OP, my Apple Watch battery on my first Gen Apple Watch is still going strong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.