Anyone have to get their iPod headphones repaired?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by DVNIEL, Jul 24, 2007.

1. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

My headphones are starting to come apart through no physical abuse I've put them through. The rubber neck sheath has slid off one of the earphones, and the rub portion around the ear part is starting to come off.

Can I go to an Apple Store and have them replace the headphones? Anyone have any success with getting these things repaired?

2. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Are they really worth having replaced? Do yourself a favor and get some good headphones :p

3. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

I don't think these types of earphones are worth replacing. The same $30 will get you some pretty nice headphones with a much better range of audio, clarity, and bass response.

Another reason to upgrade to a different type of headphone: People who wear the little white earbuds are at a higher risk of having their iPod taken away from them by force. Crooks know that white earbud = iPod (in most cases). Case in point: I was listening to my iPod with the white earbuds once and had someone who I walked past suddenly turn around behind me and try to grab my iPod out of my pocket. Luckily I pay close attention to my surroundings (even while listening to music ;) ) and made a run for it (it was also lucky for me that he chose not to make a scene by chasing after me...). I realized afterwards that I was singled out because they knew I had my iPod just because of those $*#@ing earbuds. I immediately bought a pair of headphones, which I've been wearing with my iPod for over a year now, and no more attemped muggings (they probably think its a CD player or something).

I was happy to switch to a different type anyway, because if I wore the earbuds too long, they made my ears sore.

YMMV, though.

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

before i got my er6i's I got my headphones replaced like 6 times

5. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I bought a pair of the Sennheiser MX450, they are heaps better than the stock standard iPod headphones.

6. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I ran my set of Apple "In-Ear" headphones thru the washer/dryer with my 1G shuffle. The shuffle came out just fine, but the headphones were a different story. The heat from the dryer melted the glue holding the earpiece mounts together and they both fell off. I got a technician at work to glue them back together with some kind of model cement and they seem to work just fine again, although the cement irritates my ear when I use it. Maybe I'd better try a set of the Sennheisers.

7. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

I have never had a problem with my apple buds, and I love them. I have had about six pairs with my different iPods. The only problem I have ever had is when I got a pair caught in a polishing machine. 9800 rpm, not too good. :) But thankfully it ripped them off of my ears and my iPod before any damage to me or the iPod took place.

8. j@yri¢hi£ macrumors member

j@yri¢hi£

I've gotten my buds replaced twice then i finally went to the Griffin EarThumps. Which were great and i love them. but i just recently found these http://www.handhelditems.com/isolate-hifi-earphone-golden-orange-p-5049.html that when you check out use the coupon code "isophone" and you'll automatically get a $20 instant rebate making these $50 noise isolating headphones only $10 with 2.98 Shipping to anywhere... figure for $13 bucks its a pair of headphones to try out, and they're pretty good i like them a lot actually. comfortable for me atleast.

9. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I had some CX300 but it didn't take long for them to fail to produce hardly any volume. A big waste of money.

10. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i had the same problem with the rub part around the ear. i took them in and they were replaced for free

edit - make sure you bring your ipod for the serial number

11. The Toon Master macrumors 6502