anyone have trouble playing mkv files on their macbook/pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brianbkny, Dec 28, 2007.

1. brianbkny macrumors member

i just downloaded some high def planet earth episodes. they are mkv files. i was using VLC but i keep getting a "computer too slow" message and the video freezes. i have my macbook pro plugged into my tv with a dvi to hdmi cable. i have a macbook pro running leopard (core2duo, 2gigs of ram, 2.16ghz) if that helps.

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

What version of VLC Player are you using? Check you have the latest one. Does it play back fine when the TV isn't connected?

For the record, I have a MacBook Pro and I can play HD files fine (as could my old pre-SR MBP), and performance when a TV is connected is fine too.

3. brianbkny thread starter macrumors member

its the latest version of VLC, they lag even when not connected to the TV

4. brandon.vong macrumors regular

I'm having the same problem (but I linked that to my old computer) so if someone has an answer that would be great!

5. wildmilne macrumors regular

mine plays ok, but if i try to move the time "slider" it will almost always crash.

6. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

Your saviour would be OSXBMC. Google it.
    Cheers ;)

7. trippr macrumors member

trippr

i have had problems with some of these in the past as well playing on vlc. I just try and avoid mkv as much as i can now.

8. wildmilne macrumors regular

Nearly everything in HD is MKV or WMVHD...so those aren't very OSX friendly.

As posted above OSXBMC plays them smoothly though.

9. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Get MPlayer. Its extremely ugly, but it plays .Mkv files without any problems. Uses least CPU while doing it too.

10. wildmilne macrumors regular

I get static for audio, maybe because it can't handle multiple audio streams?

11. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

OSXBMC.
    Not sure why all of you guys are trying to reinvent hot water with mplayers and vlc's after knowing that they dont play the mkv files well... Especially 1080p.

12. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

I haven't had any issues playing MKV files with VLC, playback is smooth as any other video format. I'm using VLC (Universal Binary) 0.8.6f.

13. Joshua Fan macrumors newbie

Joshua Fan

VLC became really crash-prone when using the seek bar after I installed 0.8.6f over 0.8.6e. I completely uninstalled VLC using an uninstall app like AppCleaner and did a fresh install of VLC 0.8.6f. That got rid of all the glitches.

14. EricVT macrumors member

I have no trouble playing mkv files using VLC, but I do get occasional crashes if I try to skip around in the movie a lot. I'll try some of the suggestions here, thanks.

15. andreiru macrumors 6502

andreiru