Anyone have used autopatcher on windows thru bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by italiano40, May 16, 2008.

1. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

2. Matek macrumors 6502a

Windows "through Bootcamp" are no different than any other Windows. Ever since Apple switched to Intel, they are using regular hardware and their machines are no different than other PCs. Bootcamp is just a piece of software that makes the process of installing Windows on a Mac easy (helps you with partitioning, provides a driver pack, etc.).

After you actually install Windows, Bootcamp doesnt matter, which means Autopatcher will work just like it would on any other machine.

I have used it on most of my boxes and I am pretty satisfied.

3. italiano40 thread starter macrumors 65816

italiano40

yea that is true, but autopatcher is a thing that bypasses WGA program and that is why i want to know if it works correctly on Mac boot camp

4. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

This sounds like something that interests you. I mean the fact that it by passes WGA.

5. Matek macrumors 6502a

a) I hope you're not trying anything illegal.
    b) I already said that windows on "mac boot camp" are no different than any other so your question has no point.

But OK, I can still try to explain. AFAIK WGA works this way:
    1. You go to Microsoft's site and find a downloadable update for some random issue.
    2. The WGA software analyses your machine to determine whether your copy of Windows is genuine or not.
    3. You are allowed to download the update and install it.

Since the WGA check is done before the updates are actually downloaded and not right before they are installed (the check is not integrated in the install process), you can easily "bypass" WGA by downloading an update on a genuine system and then transfering it to another one. Since you already downloaded it, you can install it anywhere without a problem.

That's how AutoPatcher works - they don't hack your machine so that it would appear genuine in Microsoft's checks, they simply provide you with a bunch of updates that don't do any WGA checking.