Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i was going to say you could go to the xBench comparison site.... but it looks like it's having problems right now.

but there's probably heaps of results out there if you just google it.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
Originally posted by macer1
i scored 102.68 and as high as 114.35

the average was 102.48 but i took the lowest of the 5.
judging from the fact that you just joined i assume you just got the powerbook. could the unusually high numbers be due to the machine still 'breaking in'? the reason i ask is cause when i first got my 12" iBook G4 i was scoring 95 repetatively. now if i try it again, i only get high 70's!? ack!

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Actually, I don't know if I trust xBench. The scores seem to vary quite widely between each test. I would expect consecutive tests under the same conditions to be roughly the same.

zapp

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
Caribou,ME
results vary

Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
Actually, I don't know if I trust xBench. The scores seem to vary quite widely between each test. I would expect consecutive tests under the same conditions to be roughly the same.

Yes they do vary, and the RAM does not affect the scores a lot. xbench doesn't do any large data movement, so a lot of ram does not speed it up. I was getting around 95, then went into powersaving, turned it on highest preformance, unchecked let hd sleep and I was around 102.

The results site is down, they are getting a new server.

Engagebot

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
LSU - Baton Rouge
there's no such thing as 'breaking in' a new machine as far as hardware is speaking.

If you copy of OSX was installed years ago, or has been upgraded (or upgraded more than once!), you need a clean install of OSX to get your full performance. Everybody trashes M$ windows because it gets slow and bloated with use. nobody realizes that as great as OSX is, its still an OS, and still gets 'dirty'.

You can also look at how many unnecessary processes your machine is running at startup

macer1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
saskatoon
yes this powerbook is new, this was the first test i did with my powerbook before ANYTHING was installed, i did the test before the ram install then again after *.* 5 times for each for better range and accuracy *.*

by no means am new to apple products

as a PROUD owner of
Blue and white G3 350 mhz <------- best computer ever
Powermac G4 Dp 867 <----- also really great but time will tell if its better then B&W
and now a powerbook 12 inch 1ghz < -------so nice im using it more then DP 867

this powerbook in some areas like graphics eats the DP 867 but in the number crunching the DP SHOW THERE STRENGTH

waits for the day of G5 powerbooks, or DP powerbooks would do ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.