Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I've been having some battery issues lately and I'm trying to troubleshoot the cause. I think my gmail push might be a problem but I'm not 100% sure. Anyone else using gmail push notice decreased battery life over the last week or so?

Kevlar

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2004
Great White North
I find I lost a bit of battery life. But that was mainly to me picking up the phone more often to check emails, instead of checking once every 30 minutes, I check with every new email.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I've been having some battery issues lately and I'm trying to troubleshoot the cause. I think my gmail push might be a problem but I'm not 100% sure. Anyone else using gmail push notice decreased battery life over the last week or so?

just get pushgmail for .99 cents, your life will become much easier. :)

if you have more then a gmail account then mail notifer will be perfect.

Both push very fast!

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
just get pushgmail for .99 cents, your life will become much easier. :)

if you have more then a gmail account then mail notifer will be perfect.

Both push very fast!

I have thought about trying one of these apps out (pushmail, gpush or mail notifier). Do they really save that much battery life though? Also, I know that some of them require you to forward your messages, enter your login credentials, etc. - that worries me.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I have thought about trying one of these apps out (pushmail, gpush or mail notifier). Do they really save that much battery life though? Also, I know that some of them require you to forward your messages, enter your login credentials, etc. - that worries me.

The 2 apps i mentioned i know that both developers take security pretty seriously. I have had no issues, nor have i heard of users with issues.

I was asking these developers to add in privacy feature that will only notify if the new email and not include a preview.

I do not notice any difference using these as i did with gmail push through exchange.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I do not notice any difference using these as i did with gmail push through exchange.

Are you saying there's no difference in battery life (good or bad) using gpush or mail notifier vs. regular gmail push?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.