Anyone Having Problem With Alert Sounds?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dalcorn1, Jul 14, 2008.

1. dalcorn1 macrumors regular

iPhone 3G....

My alert sounds (text message, phone call, mail) seem to be very intermitent, a lot of the time they dont make the noise, just vibrate. Phone's not on silent, ringers on and at a good volume. I have to restart my phone, then they work for a bit then stop again.

2. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

My text message sound wasn't working earlier today.
    I restarted my phone, and it started working again.

3. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

quite often my keyboard "clicks" arent there at all when I wake the phone to tap in my password

4. dalcorn1 thread starter macrumors regular

5. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

This happened to me too. Message tones just would not make a noise. Only started again once I had reset the phone.

6. JPS macrumors regular

Same here. Email alerts have now disappeared.

7. millerboy814 macrumors member

my slide sounds dont work very often, i have to do a restart and it fixes it.. :/

8. iPaul macrumors regular

ive gotten a vibrate/email sound a couple of times....and no new email!

9. dalcorn1 thread starter macrumors regular

I've just restored my phone and it's all working fine now. Guessing either it was just needed or that there was something in the new 2.0 release. Anyway i recommend doing it. Don't forget to back up!

10. michael31986 macrumors 68030

im having the same problem. I have to restart it to make the text sound work. my calls and voicemails and mail notifications work, at least i think they do i dont get many calls as i do text messages.

but yea i have to restart the phone to make it work again.

k i also don't have it on silent mode and i have the volume highest as it can go.

11. michael31986 macrumors 68030

has anyone reported this to apple or called apple.

i wanna make sure its just a firmware problem, like it can't be hardware cause it seems everyone has the problem.

i only have it with text alerts.

12. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Is it happening while you are in an App? Maybe that App is causing the problem.

13. LeMaestro macrumors newbie

+1 more. Text sounds wont sound correctly and the phone randomly changes ringer volume settings. Tried to call Apple twice today. Waited 40 mins both times and could not wait longer.

14. michael31986 macrumors 68030

no i have no app running. should i delete all the app i have. i only have aim and facebook.

Do you guys think this is software? it has to be right if it was hardware it would happen to all my sounds and it wouldn't happen on and off.

this happens on and off.

its just the text sound and the fact that restarting it makes it work, makes me think more and more that its a software glitch.

apple needs an update quick!

15. guitarguy09 macrumors member

This has happened to me REPEATEDLY... kind of annoying...

Random thought... what firmware are you all running?? (because I never restored to get the "secret" updated firmware, do you think it's worth it?)

16. RQPS macrumors regular

RQPS

unlock

I was having the same problem with slide to unlock. There would be sound when I locked my phone but no sound when I unlocked it. I reset and am hoping this fixes the problem it has for now.

17. michael31986 macrumors 68030

i have the newest firmware the one that ends with a 7 NOT 5, so im not sure why this is happening. I just want it to be software not hardware.

i know im annoying with asking that, but im just worried.

so for some of you its not only texts its also email and etc alerts?

18. dalcorn1 thread starter macrumors regular

Mine was text, phone, email. It seemed to me to be the vibration stopping it from making the sound. However as I said earlier doing a restore worked, it's working fine now no problems.

19. Malcster macrumors 6502

After getting the same problem, a hard reset fixed the problem on mine, unfortunately it has now just re-occured, really frustrating. Ive reported it to Apple's bug report site.

I did a restore to the 347 build as well, so that didn't help either.

20. ijohnw macrumors regular

I was having issues with the alert sounds for text messages...they seemed to always stop after a while of using the phone and only the vibrate would work...

I started doing some troubleshooting while waited on the phone with apple support, and I found out that Loopt was causing my texting sound to stop working after I opened that application...i restarted the phone and the sound started working again...opened loopt...tested text message and no sound...

I got on the line with support and he hadn't heard of this issue yet...so I wanted on the line with him for an agent that is the next level of support...they know of the issue and he told me to try to restore the phone maybe by the end of the week and there might be a fix? i'm not holding my breath just yet for it...

21. mrowl macrumors regular

I noticed this when manually dialing a number... there was no audio when pushing the number keys.

22. michael31986 macrumors 68030

what do u mean by having a fix by the end of the week? as in a new firmware?

i have the newest firmware the one that ends with 7 and it seems that people have tried restoring and the problem still exists.

does it work depending on what text tone you use, because i think all of them intermittently stop working.

i only notice the texts alerts not ringing alerts though. maybe i dont get that many calls to notice it.

23. 03sho macrumors 6502a

24. michael31986 macrumors 68030

this seems to happen so often now that i gave up on alwasy restarting it.

god y can't it last for the whole day of making the alert sound, it sometimes works on and off then sometiems just doesn't work until u restart it!