Anyone having problems with Home Sharing?

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
I'm not exactly sure when it happened, but as of a couple of weeks ago at least, none of my Apple TVs (1 4th Gen, 2 4Ks) can see my Mac Mini's iTunes library via Home Sharing. Other Macs and my iOS devices see the library just fine.

Any ideas? I've tried signing out and back in for my iTunes account on the ATVs (and the Mini, for that matter), and everything is up to date on latest software.

davidg4781

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I'm having the same issue too. Two ATVs, a 3rd and a 4th, and none can see my Mac's library. I've tried signing out. I THINK I even upgraded the HDD, fresh installed macOS AND tvOS and it still didn't work.

Really, I don't think there's anything I want to stream from my PC. I just looked in to it when the internet went out and I wanted to watch a local copy of a movie.

And yes, I tried when the internet was working. Same issue.

kagharaht

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2007
After the last Mac OS update and iTunes, home sharing keeps failing. I have to quit iTunes or reboot the iMac (2015) to make it work again. I have turned off sleep on the iMac and see if this will prevent it from disconnecting on my Apple TV 4th gen and 3rd gen, as well as my MBA 2017, iPhone X, 6th gen iPad. The only way to make it work every time is to restart iTunes on the iMac. When that fails the whole thing has to be rebooted. Thats why I'm leaving it all on now, just to see if the Sleep/PowerNap is failing to keep iTunes home sharing connected.

Kevbasscat

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
After the last Mac OS update and iTunes, home sharing keeps failing. I have to quit iTunes or reboot the iMac (2015) to make it work again. I have turned off sleep on the iMac and see if this will prevent it from disconnecting on my Apple TV 4th gen and 3rd gen, as well as my MBA 2017, iPhone X, 6th gen iPad. The only way to make it work every time is to restart iTunes on the iMac. When that fails the whole thing has to be rebooted. Thats why I'm leaving it all on now, just to see if the Sleep/PowerNap is failing to keep iTunes home sharing connected.

That's what I see happening. When my 9,1 iMac (iTunes home), goes to sleep, it loses connection and all devices disconnect. Is there a way to change this setting so it stays connected, other than leaving the 9,1 awake?

kagharaht

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2007
That's what I see happening. When my 9,1 iMac (iTunes home), goes to sleep, it loses connection and all devices disconnect. Is there a way to change this setting so it stays connected, other than leaving the 9,1 awake?
It's been stable now with the last release of High Sierra and Mojave. It sleeps and PowerNap is on. It automatically wakes up when ATV needs it and has not lost its connections. Perhaps if you make sure both ATV and Macs are updated with PowerNap on will help keep it stable.

Kevbasscat

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
It's been stable now with the last release of High Sierra and Mojave. It sleeps and PowerNap is on. It automatically wakes up when ATV needs it and has not lost its connections. Perhaps if you make sure both ATV and Macs are updated with PowerNap on will help keep it stable.
After writing that, my brain. woke. up, lol. I went to settings and Power Nap was not checked. It works fine now, thanks.

Reactions: kagharaht