Anyone having problems with many duplicate copies of your bookmarks?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by richpjr, Dec 9, 2011.

1. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Ever since turning on syncing between my various devices, my Safari bookmarks keep getting dozens and dozens of copies of all of my bookmarks. It's painful and you can only delete one bookmark at a time in Safari. For the life of me I can't figure out where all these copies are coming from, but it's massively annoying. I ended up having to turn off syncing of bookmarks and cleaned things up a month or so ago. I turned synching on again last night and sure enough I ended up with many copies again.

Anyone else run into anything like this?

2. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Yes, this is driving me crazy.

I "think" it is because of iOS and Mobile Safari. It handles bookmarks a little differently than Safari. But that said my bookmarks don't seem duplicated on my iPhone and iPad. Only on my macs do they seem duplicated. I don't remember this problem with MobileMe only with iCloud.

Michael

3. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68030

richpjr

It's driving me crazy too! I guess I need to spend a bit more time figuring out why this happens. Or use Chrome! :)

4. Balooba macrumors member

Removed duplicates, but now what

Same problem here. I successfully manage to delete all duplicates (over 4000) using Safari Prairiefire but the duplicates are synced back again from the cloud. I guess the solution would be to:
    1. turn off syncing
    2. delete the bookmarks with Safari Praririefire
    3. turn back syncing and tell the cloud to use the local, fixed, version of the bookmarks list.

The problem is that I cannot figure out how to perform step 3. Any suggestions?

5. Balooba macrumors member

6. Balooba macrumors member