Anyone Having Problems With the Brightness while on Auto Dim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bush438, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Bush438 macrumors member

Don't know if this is isolated so I thought I'd ask.

Activated the iPhone 4 yesterday after upgrading from a 3G. I have always had the phone on auto brightness. What I've noticed with this one is that in low light settings the phone stays really dark, almost as if it were on dim. If I turn on a light or turn the auto brightness off then it lights up.

I've never had this problem with the previous model, anyone else?

2. Blazing angel macrumors regular

i am on my 3g. it randomly dims, even if i just unlocked it from lock. i have to go into brightness settings to fix it. ios 4?

3. Bush438 thread starter macrumors member

I thought that too at first but I also upgraded my 3G to 4.0 before activating tthe iPhone 4. Ive kept the 3G on and compared it and it stays a lot brighter than the iPhone 4.

4. TavisB macrumors member

5. cirial macrumors regular

I too feel like the auto dim is a bit messed up on my iPhone 4. I'm in a poorly lit room right now and the brightness is so low. If I turn a light on it gets brighter, but shouldn't it be the opposite?

6. ascender macrumors 68020

I've got the same problem, in dark conditions the screen doesn't brighten up, it just stays really dimly lit.

7. nowstime macrumors regular

8. OneHit89 macrumors member

One of the first things I did when I got my iPhone 4 was turn off auto-brightness and turned up the brightness a little more then the default. I'm sure it hurts my battery life some but it really makes a great looking screen look even better

9. JulianL macrumors 65816

Yeah. I'm not sure if I have a faulty unit (iPhone 4) but auto brightness isn't really working well for me at all, to the extent that I've currently switched it off.

Firstly, it seems to take a long time to make an adjustment. Is this normal? For instance if I go into a room without the main light on (so it's fairly dark) and pick up my iPhone and switch it on then the screen is quite dim (as I would expect) but if I then walk into a brightly lit room with it still on it doesn't seem to get any brighter. Sometimes it will brighten after 10 or 15 seconds or sometimes I get bored and hold it right under a desk lamp at which point it seems to get the message.

Also, last night I was using it in the evening in a fairly dark room and the screen didn't seem to be dimming at all and was searingly bright so I had to manually adjust the brightness down myself.

Where is the light sensor located on the iPhone 4? I might try a few experiments with covering and uncovering it with my finger and timing how long it takes to make any brightness changes.

What sort of response times do other people get on autobrightness adjustments?

- Julian

10. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

The reason it dims when in low light is to stop glare so that it doesnt hurt your eyes, and it gets brighter in sunlught so you can clearly see the display, I personally dont think it dims enough in a pitch black bedroom, it burns my eyes and keps my partner awake unless i turn it all the way down manually.

11. JulianL macrumors 65816

OK. Thanks for that. It might explain my second issue but is it normal for the phone to take 15 seconds or so to jump up from very dim to normal when switched on in a darkened room and then carried into a normally lit area?

- Julian

12. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

If you put the phone in sleep then unlock when the ambient light level changes, it does it as soon as you unlock it

13. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Lol no.
    Say for instance ur in the sun and its really bright. You need the screen to be brighter to see it. You need less light when ur in the dark.

14. JulianL macrumors 65816

Ah. I'll try that then. I'll need to wait until the evening to get a bit of darkness though. Thanks.

- Julian

15. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

my 3g stopped auto-dimming after about 6 months