Anyone having problems with the compass?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hojoon0724, Jul 5, 2009.

1. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

I've had my phone for about 2 weeks and the compass is slightly off to east when I know I'm facing north. (about 6 degrees off)
    I know that it shows the range that stretches about 45 degrees to each side but it's annoying the heck outta me. (OCD apple consumer here)

I do realize this is a small problem (mostly on my part) but I got a bigger one.

Anyone have trouble when using the Google maps with the compass and have trouble with the car's magnets?
    I realized today that it constantly tells me I'm facing north even when I KNOW I'm driving south.
    I tried moving it around the dashboard and there are spots where it works properly and places that it needs re-calibration.

BTW I have the new Hyundai Santa Fe and AFAK, it has magnets EVERYWHERE

2. cobalt135 macrumors regular

It is not a matter of your vehicle having magnets everywhere but that vehicles are metal and the Earth's magnetic field acts upon them. Go to the store and buy an "analog" compass and it will swing the needle around in all the places the iPhone compass gets out of wack.

3. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Yeah which really makes the magnometer useless while driving. Mine is always facing "south" of where I am actually driving. I assume all the metal in the back is ****ing with it. It sucks. :mad:

4. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Yea in the car I have the same problem. I get a message describing a "figure eight" motion to re-calibrate the iPhone's compass. It works to the point where you can tell the general direction.

5. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

That popped up on me yesterday. I must have looked like some weirdo moving the iphone around in the car :apple:

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    For those who haven't read the posts containing Apple's suggestions:

Do NOT try to calibrate the iPhone compass in a car by waving it around. It's just going to get confused by all the different nearby fields.

Instead, put it in ONE spot and LEAVE it. Then, as you drive around and hit a few curves, it should eventually figure things out on its own.

(And/or you can try driving in a slow circle a few times in a parking lot, and that should do it as well.)

7. Switz213 macrumors 6502

LOL

I have a dream, that one day. All the little girls and boys do not have to drive in circles in order to calibrate their phones.

Imagine everywhere you go. Before you leave a parking lot, you make three or four circle. It'll be the next iPod fad.

8. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I ended up putting it on the seat and it did eventually work itself out.

9. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Does this electronic compass account for declination? (the difference between true north and magnetic north?) That could easily account for your 6 degree difference. Most people have no idea of how to properly use a compass and a map. In LA it is 12-13 degrees.

10. ToonDoom macrumors member

My compass continuously told me to do recalibrate it with the figure of eight thing for the first couple of days. Then I realized my iphone case has a magnet in it:p

11. AlfaLavala macrumors regular

Not used it in my car yet but that sounds annoying. Had it require the figure of 8 but seems to be working ok now.

12. hcoteen2008 macrumors regular

13. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

There is an option for it to display TN and MN.

As a result I suspect it accounts for it.

It doesn't show which area its accounting for though so that's probably just happening in the background. I'll bet it has to do with the fact that few people know how to read a legitimate map (ie Road Atlas maps are not 'real' maps IMO)

14. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Yeah, it's just a compass. If it's not working, ask yourself why you ever were using it in the first place.

15. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

When you put yourself on a heading of 42deg True (not magnetic) you learn the answer to everything.

16. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Seriously I put the compass icon on the third/last page of apps. I don't forsee having a use for it. I use the direction function on the map, but its tilted to the left a bit, like everyone here has experienced.