Anyone having problems with their 2010 MBP 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MattMJB0188, Oct 18, 2012.

1. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I bought it new right when it came out and I am beginning to have problems. The laptop is obviously overheating all the time. I always hear the fans running. Well I have that app GFX which allows you to switch from the Nvidia GPU to the Intel GPU and vice versa and now when I switch it to Intel the screen goes black.

I also tried running Mountain Lion on it and it runs very, very slow. Taking it to the Apple store tomorrow night. The guy on the phone said they might give me a new laptop, but it would be a 2010 model?

Right now typing this, my system is at 70 degrees Celsius. I'm running Google Chrome and nothing else is running except this tab. When I got it, the computer ran about 40-50 degrees C.

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

Okay first your computer is not overheating unless it is shutting down. End of discussion on that topic really. Fans running high is normal to cool the computer, not overheating. Your car fan runs, does that mean it is overheating and you should pull over? No, it runs to keep the car within an acceptable heat range; same as your laptop.

Your laptop will run hotter when the descrete graphics chip is being used over the integrated because the GT330 generates more heat, regardless of the app running.

There is a problem with some 2010 15 inch machines with Mountain Lion and the GT330 graphics chip. When switching to or from it, you may get a black screen and or you may get a kernel error. If you get these, go to your Apple store and have them run the hardware test. If it fails, Apple will replace the Logic board. Apple is offering this service for all 2010 15 inch MBP for three years from the date of purchase. You can read more on Apples website.

I have not heard of them giving new machines, but usually when they swap it is like for like, but hey, you never know, you could get lucky.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

In certain situations, Apple will replace a computer. I don't think they have a published policy for this, but it does happen. Usually it involves a computer with multiple warranty repairs to fix the same problem. Typically, they'll replace the computer with the current equivalent.

If there is a warranty extension for the OPs MBP, they'll probably just replace the logic board.

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I have a 2010 2.66GHz i7 hi-res and I stuck with 10.6.8, I think ML is your problem here. I have GPU switcher and no problems to report.

5. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

6. marc11 macrumors 68000

I know but I was refering to this warranty situation specifically I have not heard of them doing anything more than replacing the logic board. But as I said, you never know, and the op may get lucky.

----------

It is 100% ML caused. People with the issue going back to Lion or SL have the issue disapear. I am not sure the cause specifically, it must be some sort of routine ML uses that brings out a defect in the chip, this routine must be new to ML. Apple was able to fix this under SL and Lion through a video card update they made just for the 2010 15" machine, but I guess they could not fix it with ML, so they are replacing the logic boards.

Last week it started happening to me, kernel panic after black screen coming out of sleep, for days. Then poof it stopped, for no known reason. Now the machine is perfect. I am debating myself to just go back to Lion.

7. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

First of all, this is happening running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. Mountain Lion ran like crap on here and I hated everything Apple has done since SL, but that's besides the point.

It is very normal for fans to cool a computer, BUT THEY SHOULD NOT kick on when someone is doing light web browsing. My computer CPU temperature should not be 70-80 degrees C when viewing webpages or even short 1080p clicps on YouTube.

Watching NetFlix on here is a nightmare.

The laptop is fully covered under Apple Care until May 2013. God only knows what I'm going to do then once I have a problem.

Why replace the entire logic board when they could just give me a new computer? My issue is with the Intel HD graphics not functioning properly. That's integrated into the CPU. So I'm assuming they'd have to replace that.

8. marc11 macrumors 68000

Like I said, it doesn't matter what you are doing, or what YOU think the computer should be doing heat wise. If the computer is using the descrete chip set, it will run hotter, not matter what you consider lite use.

How do you know what a normal temperature is for any specific use? If you did not have a little tool to look at the temps all the time you would have no idea if it was running at 70 or 80c. Sometimes more information is not better. As a point of reference my machine runs at 70 or so all the time, as do many others. The machine is designed to run within a temp range, lots of factors contribute to the heat.

Anyway the problem is with switching to/from the GT330, something gets corrupted and the switch is not happening correctly, thus the black screen and sometimes kernel panics. The problem is with the GT330 unless you are having a different issue than what is commonly known.

The only fix is a new logic board according to Apple. You have a warranty, so just get it fixed and the matter should be resolved.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you're watching youtube videos you're probably running Adobe Flash. If you're watching NetFlix, you're running silverlight. Both of them use a lot of CPU and heat up the computer.

On my mid 2009 I have Safari open with 3 tabs(flash disabled), iTunes and Messages running. iStat says my CPU is at 68 degrees C.

10. Snowshiro macrumors 6502

Sorry, but you're just being a bullish fool trying to justify something for no obvious reason. If the fans are running at high speed constantly, even when doing light desktop work, there is either a heat issue or a faulty sensor. Period. Apple (or any other manufacturer for that) have never made a notebook which deliberately does this under normal operating conditions.

Of course intensive CPU or GPU related activities will cause significant heating - that's why the fans exist in the first place. But trying to pretend that it's ignorance on the part of the user for complaining that the laptop is not functioning as intended (when it's clear to anyone with a the slightest ounce of common sense that this is true) is just being arrogant and dismissive of a valid opinion.

11. Slux macrumors member

Slux

Sounds like it is probably related to TS4088.

Affects some 2010 Macbook Pros and causes blackscreen.

Apple store can diagnose it (may help to bring a copy of the support article). I had my laptop logic board replaced for this issue recently and it cleared it up.

12. marc11 macrumors 68000

No its not. Define LITE work? Tell me, based on what, should the fans be running and the temps be? I never said there was nothing wrong, but he said the machine is over heating...it is not. It is not shutting down. Now tell me what in the OP's post defined lite work and what should his fans and temps be?

You can't, neither can I, thus my comment that he should not worry about the heat unless the machine is shutting down. Period, there is no argument there, its fact.

He said lite work, then said Netflix, which uses the descrete GPU which generates more heat. As I said, and I maintain, heat in the area of 70 to 80c when watching any flash, Netflix or even many websites which use flash for ads without your knowing will run the descrete GPU and WILL increase the heat is NORMAL.

I never said he was ignorant, but the paranoia on this site over heat is amazing. People site there with istat and check the temps and freak out any time the fans go over 2000 or the temps reach 80c and come here saying the sky is falling when its not.

I am not being arrogant, I am stating facts and I pointed the OP to the possible cause and solution to his black screen, 100 times more helpful than you did in your post. Another soapbox stander blowing hard but offering zero advice or help to the OP.

Plus he has Applecare so all this discussion is meaningless, just bring it Apple, that is why you buy Applecare to begin with!

13. Snowshiro macrumors 6502

1. Fact: The fans are audibly running all the time.
    2. Fact: It is so improbable that he is heavily loading the machine during every moment of its operation, and especially immediately after starting up from cold, that clearly this isn't normal.
    3. He's quoted figures and the observation that normal operating temperatures have increased 75% over time.
    4. Fact: It's bothering him enough to query it, which unless he's an idiot who has never seen a laptop before, means there's a strong likelihood of an issue that at least appears odd to the regular user of the machine.

We don't know the details, and we don't need to. Anyone of barely average intelligence could look at what has been reported and make a pretty solid conjecture about what is happening and that it doesn't sound like normal laptop behaviour.

I know it's hard for you to imagine anyone but yourself being correct, but if you actually took the time to credit other people with a modicum of common sense instead of just arrogantly dismissing what they say and assuming you are the fountain of all knowledge, you might not look like you're just being belligerent and defending some pointless argument for the sake of your pride.

14. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Thank you for making my point!!!

That issue that Apple acknowledged is definitely the culprit. Maybe something is wrong with the fans also since they're always running. Will be taking it in tonight. Will report back!!!

15. c1phr macrumors 6502

Check your activity monitor anyway, and make sure something isn't eating all of your CPU time. The fans in my 2010 15" MBP were running at full RPM just sitting with Chrome open to a static page and the culprit ended up being Bamboo drivers that were running over 100% (and my tablet wasn't even plugged in). Force quitting the process fixed that problem.

Also, the dev who wrote GFXCardStatus fixed the black screen problem on ML with v2.3. I'm pretty sure it only works on ML though.

16. mark28 macrumors 68000

The 2010 MBP 15" stays dead quiet when the descrete graphics is used. Only running games such as Starcraft II or World of Warcraft will the fans kick in.

His 2010 MBP 15" simply has problems.