Anyone having problems with unscrewing the screws to install extra memory?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JW008, Oct 20, 2008.

1. JW008 macrumors 6502

So, I can't get the bottom far right screw to unscrew. (the small one on the far right above the battery) It seems like it's either completely stripped or doesn't have the indentions to unscrew. Anyone have this problem or have any suggestion on how to fix it??

2. cerhard macrumors member

make sure you have the right size screwdriver thats that problem I had when trying to change mine in my whitebook

3. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

I too had problems on my white Macbook initially...I had to go out and get a special micro screwdriver set that included a #000 philips driver; best investment I ever made, because the kit was also useful for replacing my HDD shortly thereafter. I'd recommend picking up a kit like that, just to have on hand.

4. JW008 thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem is that I've unscrewed all the screws except for that one and the other three on the battery/hard drive side of the case are the same size and came out with no problem.

Will the Geniuses install third party memory if I take it into an Apple Store?

5. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Doubt it b/c of liability reasons.

6. Dohbrain macrumors newbie

Dohbrain

Torx?

If you are talking about the hard disk drive aluminium/pull tab casing screws you will need a Torx screwdriver (in the shape of a six pointed star). I reckon most DIY shops will have them. I bought a set today to install a 320GB Hard Drive. I think the one that fits is T6 or T7.

Incidentally can Nov '07 Macbook support a 320GB Hard Drive? And I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but can you install a new hard drive with out the Leopard installation disks?

I'm in Malaysia and have taken advantage of Genuine brand cheaper Computer components but forgot to take my installation disk.

I've formatted the new drive correctly because I bought an external case for a 2"5 Hard Drive.

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Yes the Nov 07 can support a 320GB HD. My friend has it on his.

8. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

I didn't need the install DVDs when putting in my new HDD...I used SuperDuper to create an image of my hard drive on the new one and then installed it...done! :) There are different tutorials floating around on the 'net; I have the link at home, I think, if you want to send me a PM I can look it up this evening.

9. gbrant macrumors newbie

Any other ideas?

I've tried several different tiny screwdrivers, including one for the little screws in eyeglasses--and none of the screws in the RAM shield will budge.

I don't see any numbers on my screwdrivers--is there a way to tell which number (eg: Phillips 000) of screwdriver one has?

Will an ordinary hardware store carry the specialized screwdrivers?

Any other ideas? Is there anything like WD40 for computers that would help loosen them?:confused:

10. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

A normal hardware store should carry them, they aren't exteremely rare... they are just a small phillips head. The small ones usually have a marking on them the ones you find at a normal hardware store are generally all metal like this but not necessarily.

11. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

The kit I got actually has those as well; it's made by General and is called a "UltraTech Tool System". Got mine at Home Depot. Highly recommend it.

12. JBazz macrumors 6502

Go get the proper screwdriver. Always use the proper tool and you will save yourself such grief.

Sears should have them. If not, check something like a harbor freight or other tool wholesaler. And if you google, they are all over online.

When you go in, ask for a torx screw drivers set or a torx bits.

Remember, you just spent over a grand on new laptop, for gods sake go spend 6 bucks to get the proper screwdriver.

13. gbrant macrumors newbie

Update

I did go to Home Depot and bought a set which included the 000 Phillips head. It did work, however, I had messed around with the wrong screwdriver and nearly stripped the top of the screw. If that happens, no screwdriver will work.

So, YES. Don't risk damaging the screw heads using the wrong tool. Get the 000 Phillips screwdriver!

Thanks all for good advice.

14. mac jones macrumors 68040

I second this.

I saw this post and bought one.

Excellent, inexpensive set. it works well for this job and I imagine I will get quite a bit of use out of it.

Nice soft case also.

15. PedroMendes macrumors newbie

I had this problem and had to take it to an apple store and they unscrewed the screw I couldn't get out if you know what I mean - they advised it was just stiff because it was new and I tried EVERY type of screwdriver before I took it in and I mean every type - I took it home, installed the memory and all sorted now :)