Anyone having problems with VERY slow 3G speeds?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Motionblurrr, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Hey guys :)

I love my iPhone 4--my favorite iteration of the entire iphone line so far :). I've got a bit of a problem though: my 3G speeds are retardedly slow.

I think my iPhone does suffer from the reception issue BUT for some reason it does not display it in the connection bars. Like, I put my hand in the place where the bars would drop but my bars stay strong at 5. Except when I connect to 3G to browse I'm met with slowwww 3G speeds. Then, when i leave it on a table and the 3G is fast.

I just put a piece of tape on the trouble spot and now my 3G is back to normal.

Anyone affected by this? Full bars but poor speeds?

I live in Northern Virginia btw if that matters

2. alejovh1 macrumors regular

Same here in Portland OR, super slow speeds obe 3G. On wifi everything is fast, this issue for sure has to be AT&T getting hammered with data usage

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

There is another post here on the issue, but I think it is separate from the reception issue. I have experienced it infrequently and intermittently. Once I connect w/ a different cell tower 3G returns to full speed. Report it to Apple so they will get enough complaints to fix it in a future firmware release.

4. pmz macrumors 68000

Depends on your perspective. If you consider 2.7 mbps to be slow 3G, then yes that's what I'm experiencing.

5. tellemfred macrumors member

I've also noticed unusually slow 3G speeds since getting mine. For now I am letting it slide and hoping that AT&T's network might just be slammed this weekend with the launch, and I'm also in NYC so it's not amazing to begin with. If it continues I'll report it.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Exact same problems here. It's really on and off. I think the antenna on this phone are much more sensitive to signal fluctuation. I'm sure it can be fixed by firmware.

7. shawntkeating macrumors member

My wife has a 3G. Since the ios 4 firmware upgrade, the phone has turned into a snail.

8. Motionblurrr thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes!!! This is exactly what I feel I'm experiencing. I show full bars but it's slower than the Edge network.

The piece of tape definitely improved towered that issue because now I can actually browse anywhere. Perhaps you guys are right about the entire network getting owned by 1.5m new activated phones.

Judging from all of this--I do believe it's indeed a software issue. Hopefully we get a firmware fix (if it does anything). I recall something like this happening to the iPhone 2G

9. Motionblurrr thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm talking like 140kbps down and 400kbps up at times while holding the phone the "wrong way". I've gotten not connection at all before too and I couldn't even run the speedtest with full bars hahaha

10. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Mine won't hold onto 3g after a while of being on. Eventually it goes to Edge. When I reboot the phone, it returns to normal.

My wifes phone is fine.

11. iCHiRS macrumors member

I'm in Portland too. At home my 3G speeds are snappy, but at work I get the random "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding." Sometimes it loads quickly, then sometimes it won't load at all. I still have full bars and 3G. So I reset the network settings and it seems to have fixed it...I hope :rolleyes:

12. Cowboy8467 macrumors member

I'm not having any problems. On iphone 4 with a bumper I'm getting between 1.6-3.2 down.

I'm in Northern VA too btw.

13. Motionblurrr thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm that seems quite good. Could you try it without a bumper? :). I wanna see if since there are roughly 4 Apple stores within 30 miles of each other so it could be raping 3G data.

14. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

I was and then shutdown/restarted and all was well.

15. drool6 macrumors newbie

Same here. At home, I cannot replicate the reception bar drop issue. I see full 5 bars with the 3G indicator (at work, I can replicate the bar drop issue consistently). However, at home, even with full bars, when I hold the problem area (bottom left of the phone), my 3G data speeds slows to a crawl, sometimes the speedtest freezes and doesn't even finish. I'm talking about 20 kbps download, and upload won't even complete. I can't even load a webpage. However, when I leave the phone on my desk without touching it, I get 2300-3200 kbps down, and 1400 kps up.

However, wife's 3GS is fine. I places it next to my phone and webpages load up fast.

16. fru macrumors member

Same here in Liverpool, England.

I've just presumed it is part and parcel of the same reception problem. My signal will always drop but never lower than 1 bar, which is enough to make my calls patchy and my 3G speeds VERY slow.