anyone having trouble with PkgBackup

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ifruitfly, May 4, 2010.

1. ifruitfly macrumors member

im trying to use pkg to restore the JB the way i had it, layout too via SBOrganize. when i hit restore, it looks like it is going to work, but then after <1 second, it says complete and to reboot. but this is obviously not nearly enough time to retrieve all those packages etc... and of course there is no change after the reboot. upon launching pkg, subsequently, it gives a warning message saying that the last restore was corrupted.

any thoughts? do you think its the cydia traffic? i waited till today thinking the traffic aught to have cleared up enough by now. maybe it has nothing to do with that, i dont know? help?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You should be able to tell by the messages when you restore pkgbackup. It'll say something about the repos. It'll also show what's being restored. If you're not getting ANY messages, then you're backup is messed up. Did the restore screen say you had packages to restore?

3. ifruitfly thread starter macrumors member

under previous backups, it says 0 of 0 packages. package list is completely empty. interestingly, if i un-check "include layout" it will not start, says select at least one package.

as for what it says, its too fast for me to read, but once done (less than 1 sec), on the top it says: "cleaning up", and under that it says: "restoring applications please wait"

i think i did everything correctly. made a new contact, first name pkg, last backup, company (copied from an email) it has two repos listed. and then i copied the note into the note field. then i go to the pkg app. am i missing some obvious (not to me) step where the app identifies the contents of the contact info?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Huh?? It says 0 of 0 packages, so you don't have anything. All the stuff you said in your last paragraph makes no sense. All you had to do was sync and the pkgbackup contact is created. Then when you rejailbreak, you then restore your iPhone and sync. Pkgbackup will then see the pkgbackup contact and you'll have the packages to restore.

First, the bac

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Did you re-sync the pkgBackup file in Contacts back to the iPhone ? PkgBackup needs that data to re-install the apps.

Also, keep in mind that Cydia is getting slammed very hard these last 2 days, repos are down, so that might have a negative effect.

6. ifruitfly thread starter macrumors member

as for my last paragraph, and my "procedure", it is essentially a verbatum from the author's website:

X & Y bought PkgBackup. Y want to have the same iphone/ipod as X.

Steps for X:

1. X does a backup operation.

2. X open its Contacts app & find the entry 'Pkg Backup'.

3. X copies the following fields: company & note

4. X paste those fields in a email or file that will be send to Y.

Steps for Y:

1. Y create an entry in Contacts app with:

- first name: Pkg

- last name: Backup

2. Y pastes the received 'company' data in the new contact company entry.

3. Y pastes the received 'note' data in the new contact note entry.

4. Y launches PkgBackup & hit restore.​

the only difference is that i am playing both X and Y. that said, its apparently not working...

as for the syncing (cuz it looks like that is where i have gone wring), i can restore the phone to when the pkg was a contact, but i end up with issues with my calendar (dont ask, its a long a painful story that ended with 3.1.3...). so presently i have restored to an pretty old backup point (before calendar issues...), and before pkg was a contact.