Anyone having troubles with external displays after security update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmChimera, Sep 27, 2010.

1. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

My mac will not automatically detect displays, and even sometimes requires a restart. Any clue as to why? I've reset SMC, PRAM, repaired permissions, and cleared the caches. I'm at a loss.

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I had a problem with this also and had to restart before it would recognize the monitor...it would actually act like it was switching to dual displays but it never sent the signal.

3. cmChimera thread starter macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I have the same model as you. Were you able to fix this problem?

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Restarting it fixed it that time but I dont really use the external monitor that much, I will try it again when I have a chance and let you know.

5. cmChimera thread starter macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Yeah everytime I want to use an external display a restart is required, and when I disconnect it, the Mac remains in external display mode. I have to detect displays to return it to normal.

6. copland007 macrumors member

copland007

I use both a minidisplay to dvi for my desktop monitor, and a minidisplay to hdmi for my tv hookup and both are working like normal after the update. I didn't reset SMC, PRAM, repair permissions, etc... just a few shutdown & startups have occurred since I applied the update.

7. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Ive been in class since 8am sorry, now 12:33pm and in about 15 mins ill get back and be able to test it before my next class.

8. cmChimera thread starter macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Sweet thanks.

I envy you greatly.

9. tjb1 macrumors 68000

On bootcamp is does recognize hdmi out and mirrors displays, cant check on osx yet.

10. cmChimera thread starter macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Now I dont have to restart, just have to detect displays when I connect or disconnect which is slightly less annoying. I'm not sure what's going on. If you ever check in osx let me know. Did it automatically find the display?

11. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Did check on osx and did work, will check soon to see if it works after sleep.

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I did have issues. I just used GFXCardStatus to change from n -> i then back to n. Now it works as needed.