Anyone having wi-fi issues after 8.1 update?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by comatory, Oct 31, 2014.

1. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

I updated my iPhone 4s to 8.1 when it came out. Since then, all the wifi connections have been slow/almost unusable. It is slow on any wifi, in any range. I did clean install, I also did clean install without restoring from backup. I am still having issues. Cellular works good.

2. Markc1024 macrumors member

I did for a bit. Had it forget the connection and then reconnected. It was fine afterwards.

3. comatory thread starter macrumors 6502a

comatory

I tried that few times. Not working.

4. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

I had the same problem with my iPhone 6. Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings resolved the problem for me. You'll have to reconnect to Wi-Fi after that.

5. comatory thread starter macrumors 6502a

comatory

I already did clean install without restore which resets network settings. I just tried your advice, doesn't help though.

OK, I noticed that my wifi is faster when I'm closer to my router... but it is still kinda sluggish (but usable). Our router transmits two networks, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. My iPhone 4s is the only thing on 2.4Ghz network. My Macbook, iPad and Macbook Air are all capable of connecting to 5Ghz one so we're using that and that is OK.

But tell me, how can I fix this issue? It was working fine before 8.1 update. It is also sluggish on other wi-fi networks.

6. lildimsum7 macrumors regular

I'm getting issues too. Resetting network connection is a temporary fix for me.

7. Beefburga macrumors regular

Beefburga

Some, myself included found changing the routers security settings from WEP to WPA2 sorted this issue.

The only real fix is the people over at Apple pulling their fingers out of their arses and releasing a further update.

I'm guessing with the lack of acknowledgement from Apple or media covering of this issue I can't see an update anywhere soon on the horizon.

8. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

8.x is a real wifi clusterf*ck.

iPhone 5 had tons of issues all month across Europe and Asia. Connections were inconsistent, dropping left and right, SSIDs disappearing, etc. Sometimes reboots/resetting network settings will help, other times it's just a godawful mess. Many of my clients are having problems too.

I thought Microsoft was doing a piss poor job with their Surface wifi implementation, but that's only a couple of enterprise wap issues - Apple has taken it to a whole new level. Pathetic.

9. twintin macrumors 6502

I had issuse up to 8.0.2, but with 8.1 it started to work again.

10. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I went straight to 8.1 with a new 6+, no issues at all.

11. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

Mine and my wife's ip6's on 8.1 have had wifi problems. I have tried airplane mode, forget this wifi connection, and rebooting with no luck. I tried reset network settings (settings>General>reset>reset network settings) on both devices and so far so good but we'll see long term.

My iPad mini retina on ios8.1 has not had an issue yet on 8.1.

12. reptarwilleatu macrumors regular

reptarwilleatu

A. why in the hell were you running WEP instead of WPA2 in the first place? WEP is horrendously insecure compared to WPA2.

B. Apple is trying as hard as they can. it's an incredibly hard problem to nail down, each situation/environment is different. each full number release has these issues but after a few software updates, we all forget about it until next year when x.0 comes out.

Now. I'm not saying that it isn't bad. i've been having issues with slow wifi on all my devices since iOS 8 released as well as Yosemite and it seems like a particularly bad year. all im saying is, cut Apple a little slack. their doing their best and if we're all a lil patient, it'll be worked out soon.

As for the symptoms of my issues, after being on 8.1 a while it seems like it's not as constant, but when it does get bad a reboot of the device as opposed to my Airport Extreme seems to help temporarily.

13. comatory thread starter macrumors 6502a

comatory

My router runs only WPA2.

Yeah the thing is, my iPad mini retina runs the same version and it's all fine. It seem to be affecting 2.4Ghz devices.

14. reptarwilleatu macrumors regular

reptarwilleatu

my 5s runs on 5ghz and i've been having issues since 8.0

15. Beefburga macrumors regular

Beefburga

A- Many have said the same, what can I say, I'm living on the edge.

B- I'm sure they are but would it hurt to release a statement addressing the issues instead of leaving valued (we'd like to think), loyal customers going through all sorts of tricks to even limp along sometimes.

Fingers crossed Apple get things sorted before they release the jPhone.

16. reptarwilleatu macrumors regular

reptarwilleatu

It says it right in the 8.1 release notes "Resolves issues with Wi-Fi performance that could occur when connected to some base stations."...their working on it.

Yes it didn't fix all of it. but i don't think it's critical for them to make a statement or support document for it. A statement wouldn't hurt, but i don't think it's widespread enough for them to need to. and they won't do a support document because there are too many variables. when they released a statement + document for the botched 8.0.1 update, they knew exactly what the circumstances were and which devices were affected. plus it was very critical issue. it could be way worse, be thankful your wifi is working :)

17. Beefburga macrumors regular

Beefburga

This

18. reptarwilleatu macrumors regular

reptarwilleatu

not critical...

19. Beefburga macrumors regular

Beefburga

It'll be nice though.

Anyway, I'd love to continue this conversation but fear I'm pushing my luck with my connection.

Take care pal ;)

20. comatory thread starter macrumors 6502a

comatory

Well working on it and breaking it in process. I never had wi-fi issues since i got my iPhone 4s. It ran iOS5,6 and 7 with no problem, even 8.0 and 8.0.2 was allright, just 8.1 introduced this.

Well, let's hope they fix it. Is there a bug tracker/submission anywhere?