Anyone having wifi speed issues on their plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by modernmoments, Sep 20, 2014.

1. modernmoments macrumors member

My wifi is crawling so badly on my wifi. My wife's iPhone and iPad seems decently fast. I mean it's really dogging it. Any ideas? I tried forgetting and reattaching to the network, turning wifi on/off and hard reset. My router is a verizon one from about six years ago and I haven't gotten a chance to try on another wifi network.

2. wxman2003 Suspended

You might need an upgrade to your router. iOS8 now randomizes mac addresses which may or may not be the real mac address of your iPhone. This may causes issues with older routers.

3. newone757 macrumors 6502

Nope. 35mbps down on the 2.4ghz band and 50 Mbps down on the 5ghz band. I'm using the newest AirPort Extreme

4. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

5. modernmoments thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info. It seems to be an issue with certain routers running 5GHz. I'm going to see if I can downgrade to 2.4 and reset network settings. Frustrating. It's dog slow.

6. modernmoments thread starter macrumors member

My router is an Actiontec WI424 (Verizon FiOS) and I can't figure out how to get this phone to work fast consistently on my WiFi. I tried changing the router channel, resetting network settings on the phone, forgetting/reattaching to the network, hard reset on phone, rebooting router, etc.

The only other thing is that I'm running WEP instead of WPA2 encryption, but I don't think that would have any effect on speed. It's so frustrating because I don't want to burn through all my cell data.

Any other ideas? I don't seem to have a way to downgrade the band and I think this might be a 2.4GHz router anyway since it's from 2008.

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Not as fast as on computer (150 Mb/s service)

Attached Files:

8. modernmoments thread starter macrumors member

I'm ok with it not running as fast as my computer, however, I'd prefer it to go more than 1-3 Mbps

9. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

First step I'd say is going to speedtest.net and running it on your computer, then downloading the app and running it on your phone.

And is your computer using an ethernet connection or WiFi? If both are on WiFi results should be roughly comparable unless your internet service is higher than 50 Mbps.

10. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

I was. Restoring didn't work, nor did resetting the network settings on the phone. I replaced my 128GB Plus Silver at the Apple Store and was having the same problem once I got home and restored from a backup.

I changed my router network settings from WEP to WPA2 and now everything is blazing fast with no issues.