Anyone hear any news regarding TOMTOM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fuzion11, Jun 22, 2009.

1. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Just wondering if anyone has heard any new news regarding the release date or pricing?

I've heard sometime this summer....

Thanks guys.

2. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

I havent heard anything about Tom Tom yet, not sure what the delay is. Navigon came out with their offereing in the app store that only supports Europe at this time. The one thing is that app is priced at 99.00 I hope the tom tom one is under 75.00.

3. TMade09 macrumors newbie

Is there anything out there now for turn by turn directions?

I just switched from Verizon and have been using VZ Navigator for a while.

4. co.ag.2005 macrumors 65816

co.ag.2005

I use G-Map (West) and it works very well. No voice turn by turn, but it does play a simple chime to let you know when a turn is approaching. I typically turn off voice turn by turn anyways on stand alone navigation units because it gets very annoying... just my $0.02...

5. NightStorm macrumors 68000

http://www.gokivo.com/

Uses a subscription model ($9.99/month, same as VZW Navigator). I can't remember for sure, but they may be developed by the same company (or use the same map data).

Personally, I'm waiting for either TomTom and their mount to be released, or possibly Navigon's solution.

6. 2Sticky macrumors regular

If they get the pricing right it could be one very successful app!

7. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I'm in Canada...Toronto area actually.

I'm really hoping when I go to buy the mount in the store it will be under a $100 bucks and include a voucher to buy the application in the app store.

Hopefully it will also be a one time fee and not a monthly!!!

8. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

I asked them about lane guidance and text to voice and got the response below:

Dear Chimpboy74

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care
    The reference number for your query is

The iPhone version of Tomtom wont have Advanced lane guidance or text to speech but will have IR Routes.

You can find details on the following link ;

http://iphone.tomtom.com/

More information will be made available closer to the products release later in the year,

With Kind Regards

Chris

The TomTom Customer Care Team

The bit in bold doesnt bode well for an imminent release (received this mail today)!

9. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

Att navigator that uses telenav is now in the app store free app but 9.99/mo.

10. Cupra macrumors regular

The MAJOR problem i can think with tomtom or similar apps is that when you get a phone call you won't be able to see the nav screen directions and you will get lost which defeats the point.. and dont say "ohh just pull over when someone calls" cos that bollox... Then when your phone call has ended the tom tom will have to load up again, laod all the maps, find your gps position all over again ETC... FAIL!

unless apple can make the 2 apps run at the same time it will just fail, just buy an normall tom tom and keep your iphone for a phone!

11. Greenstick macrumors newbie

The official tomtom website is still saying "later this summer" so not worried (yet). Now Navigon is live for Europe, tomtom will know they are losing sales every day they are not in the app store, so I'd expect it pretty soon.

12. kis macrumors 65816

If you look at how much map material costs, there's absolutely no way Tom Tom is going to sell for less than 100$. Navigon comes with maps for all of Europe - stand-alone devices with that kind of coverage usually cost about 300+ $

The 99$ price tag for Navigon is only promotional - after June 30 it will be drastically more. I'd say Navigon will be around 150 and TomTom will go for 150-200$

Navigon's a very decent app, btw. Extremely easy to use and very accurate. GPS fix takes a long time the first time you use it, after that it's almost instantaneous - drastically better than the TomTom in my wife's car...

Peter

13. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

NO text to speech!! Fugetaboutit.

14. speed12 macrumors regular

TomTom do mention that the bracket accessory will allow handsfree calls....now this may just be that it allowes handsfree calls generally, but maybe you can answer from within the program and still keep directions running (with the green bar at the top as you would get if you were on a call and on the web at the same time).

Of course, that is only possible speculation and I'm not even sure if its possible (not a dev or expert in any way, shape or form!).

Also, I saw somewhere that the bracket has an FM transmitter in it....but not seen anything else anywhere, is this a known fact or speculation does anyone know?

15. speed12 macrumors regular

Surely it would still have the "turn left in 200yds" type thing though? What would text to speech be used for (genuinely out of interest)?

16. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Something along the lines of

"at the junction, turn left. A35"

ie it would actually say the road or street name....

I'm getting more and more tempted by Navigon. I wish there was a demonstartion version somewhere cos I am liking what i see but am a long time tomtom user.

17. trssho macrumors 6502

On app store, xroad/ g-maps released V 1.3.1, then by the end of the day, it was back to V1.3. I emailed them and they said by the end of the week, 1.3.1 would be available. The new version will include turn by turn voice navigation. At $25, should be awesome. I had V 1.2, but 1.3 sucked, so I stopped using it.

18. speed12 macrumors regular

Ah OK, oh, that is a bit rubbish then

19. kis macrumors 65816

the lane assistant is great. Howerver, Navigon is pretty basic - it's very clear to me that they concentrated on the most basic features to ship the software before TomTom. Navigon doesn't offer traffic updates or any other data-driven services (like speed-cams etc.). However, it works - and it works well. It's blazingly fast on the 3G S, recalculates routes instantaneously, has very good voice output and a huge number of maps

Peter

20. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123

I don't understand why people want to buy the tomtom mount I mean it's not that great?

Why not buy the DLO Vent Mount and then connect the Iphone to the car stereo with either Bluetooth, Aux cable or fm tuner?

It's a pretty simple mount, great& sturdy turns 360 degrees.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lifestyles-Ou..._1_3?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1245757987&sr=8-3

I have this setup with the Sygic GPS on my 3G and it's sweeeet!

21. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

I use G-Map. I have ver. 1.3, and it works pretty good. There are a couple of changes that I'd like, but for a one time fee of $25, I think it's great. They are VERY slow at answering email, but do answer. They have a great windshield mount for $20. The SSL site certificate from their hosting provider was expired for their online shop, but I manually installed the certificate and was able to order the mount. Now, if the other companies can compete with those prices, that will be great. But, I don't think they'll come close.

22. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Its crap dont get it. The fact that you cant download maps for it makes it horrible. Pulling maps while you drive is not good. You could be in a no coverage area and wham... no more maps.

Ill wait for navigon or tomtom.

23. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

The POI list on that program is absolutely horrible. Not to mention half the time it doesnt know where I am and gives me horrible directions.

No thanks!

24. speed12 macrumors regular

I think a lot of people might be waiting to see what the "improved GPS performance" bit is. If its just the fact its mounted to your windscreen and so nearer some glass it can "see" out of (unless it has a heat reflective coating which doesnt help matters....) then I can imagine people will go elsewhere. If on the otherhand it has a dedicated GPS receiver in it to make use of the 3.0 accessory support which is genuinely better than the reciever in the iPhone itself, then that is quite a big draw.

And add it handsfree calling (in whatever form that takes..), stereo intergration etc and its quite a neat little package....if its not too crazily overpriced that is.

25. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I'm sure it would. But in densly populated areas you could have 3 streets in that vicinity and not be sure which turn to take and you'd have to look at the phone while driving 40mph for the street name. I'm REALLY surprised they don't have it. Even some FREE Blackberry GPS apps have T2S. It must be a limitation of the phone itself. That's really disappointing considering this won't be a "cheap" app.