anyone hear anything about the next macbook (white)?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dgpsx7, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Dgpsx7 macrumors member

The rumors that predicted the MBP would come out when it did also said that the regular macbook would come out this month. The white macbook is the one I want. Has anyone heard anything or have any idea if it will come out soon?

I need to replace my computer. I currently have a 9 year old Alienware desktop that surprisingly works really well but I have come to the conclusion that there is no reason to buy a PC laptop over a macbook. I really can't wait to finally make the switch. If the Macbook will not come out soon I have to get the MBP 13".

2. cjmabry macrumors newbie

cjmabry

I'm also wondering if there's going to be a new white MacBook anytime soon. I'll be getting one in the near future and was wondering if I should just wait for the new version. Any news?

3. cjmabry macrumors newbie

cjmabry

4. Dgpsx7 thread starter macrumors member

The only thing I am worried about is that they will do less with the update so they won't make the 13" MBP look bad. This is what I would guess they would do.

-2.4 ghz core 2 duo

-either leave the HD at 250gb or make the base 320gb

-add the Nvidia 320m

-add 2gb of ram to the base memory making it 4gb

-add sound support to the mini display port

-add inertial scrolling

This is realistically what they will or should do or else it isn't worth refreshing at all. They will probably still leave it at $999 making the difference between the macbook and the macbook pro $200 with an sd card slot, illuminated keyboard, a firewire port and the beautiful casing.

The question is when?

I need this sooner than later so if it's gonna take more than a month to come out I'm just gonna get the MBP and call it a day.

5. Kaimakides macrumors newbie

I would get a MBP personally OP, I got a macbook and I really wish it had an aluminum case. It just feels so smooooth.

6. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Honestly, I think the case and the firewire port is definitely worth the extra 200 for the MBP (unless you really prefer the white case). And if you aren't going to wait for the update for the Macbook, you also get much more RAM and a better video card, way worth the 200.

I wouldn't buy the current macbook period. Either wait if you really want the white case or just spend the extra 200.

I'm honestly not sure how'd they update the macbook without making it too close to the Pro (basically making it you're mostly paying for the casing). Point being is there isn't that huge of a gap between the computers now (but definitely enough to be worth 200. They close that gap... not sure it would be worth the 200 extra unless you really want the casing/backlit keyboard).

And just out of curiousity, does anyone know if the current white macbook design has problems with the plastic cracking like the older style ones had (like the first C2Duo's like mine)? It's one reason I'm kinda turned off of the white macbook design (That and liking the black border around the screen of the Pro).

7. Dgpsx7 thread starter macrumors member

The case is beautiful, i will not argue that. However, for some reason I love how the white case looks. I like everything about how the pro looks except for the top of it which doesn't really matter. Comparing the current Macbook to the MBP I would definitely go with the MBP because of the ram update and the mini display port sound support they added. The only thing that would change the game is if the macbook got an update. I currently have a Lacie external hard drive that is USB 2.0, what else do you use your firewire port for? or what else can you use it for besides hooking up camcorders?

I agree with you that it would be very hard to update the macbook without stepping on the MBP's toes so I'm not sure what will happen.

In regards to the plastic on the unibody macbooks cracking I read a thread on this and it is confirmed that they do not. They fixed the problem by making the unibody out of softer material that does not crack as easily.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=870024

It looks like I'm gonna end up with the MBP. The education discount should ease the pain. This is gonna be my first mac, I'm really excited.

8. tigress666 macrumors 68040

For me, most of hte time I use my Macbook as a desktop that is easily portable. So, my keyboard takes up one USB port constantly. Then when I need to plug in my iphone to sync it. Plus my backup hard drive for time machine uses the firewire port (It can be USB but the fact I have firewire means I can keep one USB slot free for my iphone/ipod so I'd probably be just as happy with 3 USB slots. Either way, the macbook today only has two USBs and that's it). So, excluding the iphone (or my ipod nano) syncing, I usually only have one USB port free for anything extra (which I do use).

That's good to hear. The thing that bugs me most about my macbook's plastic cracking is it really makes me feel the quality on my macbook is really low. On top of my hard drive dieing in just a year (I hear now Apple has recalled my year of macbook for this but it's 2 years too late for me and the hard drive died literally within a month past the warranty expiring), the plastic cracked in a year or so and now my fan is dieing as well. I swear this has been the worst quality Mac I've owned (only other bad quality Mac I had was a Performa 6100 that didn't even have as many issues as this).

I love my Mac but at the same time it really makes me feel Apple is slipping and has made me lose some faith that Apple takes as much care to put out quality product.

9. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I agree,quality isn't what is used to be. :(
    A little disapointed with my MacBook.

10. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Hi,

According to Macworld the Macbook was faster than the previous entry level MacbookPro. Now the current Macbook is only a few points behind the current entry MBP.

My gut tells me that the Macbook won't see an update until late May so as to give the MBP some time to sell. I do struggle with the $200 difference too, as at the end of the day a computer is a tool and not a piece of jewelery. The aluminum looks really nice, but if the Macbook is faster...

The firewire port is a dying connection. The first 3 or 4 generations of iPod's used firewire, but since moving to USB there doesn't seem to be a lot of consumer need for it. Some may need it for an audio interface if doing sound recording, but USB offers loads of choices as well, abet reduced functionality. I just wish Light Peak would be released already so that we wouldn't need various port styles anymore.

Anyway, I am waiting to see what the Macbook is updated to and then will "try" to base my decisions on the functionality of the computer rather than the gorgeous aluminum body. Shallow Hal?

s.

11. Dgpsx7 thread starter macrumors member

I totally agree which is why I have had so much trouble with this as well. The last edition MBP does perform worse than the current macbook with the same specs and I think this is probably attributed to more heat in the case because of the aluminum casing. However there are a few things that might make you feel less guilty about buying the MBP that I have thought about in the last couple days;

-even if you don't use the firewire port it is faster so if you end up buying an external hard drive it would be a good port to hook it upto. Also many camcorders have firewire ports and a performance difference will be seen. This is the best we can do because intel has not given us the option of USB 3.0.

-I will not be using the keyboard much because I will have the apple bluetooth wireless one but for moments where I am traveling this will come in handy a lot and it probably would for you too. It is much much easier to type in the dark when the keyboard is illuminated (e.g. Planes, watching movies in bed)

-The sd card slot is so key and one of the main reasons I want the pro. Even if you carry your camera wire around it is ten times better to have the slot cause what if you want to take pictures from someone else's sd card without the hassle of emailing large files or whatever. This is a big deal and sd cards are now large enough storage wise to use as a backup tool and for other things.

-Aluminum will not crack. The most that will happen to an MBP is a scratch or dent but it's not gonna crack. That's nice.

-Yes it's a computer and not jewelery but you are the one who has to look at it for a few years. I am currently using a custom made Alienware Area 51 from 2001. Yes it's old but it works really well and is still beautiful to this day. I expect to keep my next computer for a minimum of 3 years and if you like how it looks much better the difference in price over the course of owning it is comparatively a small difference. You should love it when you look at it. I actually don't mind the white macbook but when I hold an MBP I know it is designed and made with quality in mind.

I think I just might have convinced myself more than anything.