Anyone hear of this before-No ETF Verizon-IF

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ABC5S, May 26, 2014.

1. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Decided to sell my iPhone 5S, pay the ETF, and wait for the 6S when it comes out next year. Went to my local Verizon store, ported back my number to a flip phone, and remained on my current contract (16 months remaining), and the rep said no ETF since you are still on the remaining contract.

I then asked again to a manager on site, and said the same thing. Now I can sell my iPhone 5S, pocket the money ($400 plus) to a new phone later if necessary. My flip phone contract is for those 65 and above, 200 minutes, no data or texting/pictures, and the cost is only $29.00 per month before fee's.

Seems strange that I didm't have to pay approx $370.00 ETF.

2. cnotes2019 Suspended

There's never an etf if you are just changing devices. Etf is for when you cancel the line before your contract is up.

3. ABC5S thread starter macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Thank you. Just seemed strange that they would let me keep or sell the 5S and lower my monthly contract plan. Thank you again for the reply

4. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Normally you can change devices but the amount of etf doesn't change. Not sure how it is now but dumb phone etf used to be cheaper than smartphone etf.

5. dextr3k macrumors 6502

ETF is for when you cancel your line.

So when you want to buy the iPhone 6, you still have 10 months left on your contract, so you would have to pay full price on the 6. But if you wanted to buy it for only $200, then you would need to cancel your line. Thats when you pay the ETF of however much left....but it seems your month fee is drastically reduced, so thats a big win right there. :D

6. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

All you did was the port the number to another phone. The contract follows the line, not the phone. It does sound like they got the short end of the stick, considering you will be paying less per month, but thats on them.

Also, your ETF will not exceed $350 unless you have more then one line. Plus, every month you are in the contract, the amount of your ETF goes down $10. Right now, your ETF (at least on the iPhone contract) would be apx. $270 if you have 16 months left.

7. 617aircav Suspended

Seems insane to sell the 5s and wait just to wait 14 plus months for the 6s. Seems your have zero need for a smartphone. What's the point of you getting the 6s.

8. 617aircav Suspended

I would not say they are getting the short end of the stick, after all woo min for $30 is a massive rip off. They are making their money back.

9. ABC5S thread starter macrumors 68040

ABC5S

You are right. Don't really need it, but when the 6S comes out later next year, I might just want it. 6S will have a nicer camera (Apple always update the camera) better CPU, some bug fixes, perhaps a Kill Switch and who knows what else over the next iPhone 6 version. Or I'll use the money and buy the rMBP update version. Just nice to know I can get a good sale on the current 5S ;)

10. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

But what if you get the 6S? You stop to think that the 7S will have even greater specs! So at that point you could wait for it. But... then there is the 8S too!

Basically... what I am saying is that your reasoning for this makes little sense. There is ALWAYS something new in the pipeline.

11. divergirl macrumors regular

I agree, $29 for 400 minutes is a rip off. But most Verizon plans are. My parents pay $67 a month for 700 minutes split between two flip phones (with no texting or data plan). And the phones are out of contract too, so they're paying the $67 for ONLY the minutes. I keep telling them that they could switch onto my prepaid plan with Ting for only $24 a month, and that the Sprint coverage for voice is quite good in our area, but my mother refuses to leave Verizon despite how much she is overpaying. And the kicker? It's $67 AFTER my dad's $20 work discount. :eek:

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

The newer shared plans can be decently priced with various discounts they offer for being out of contract or bringing your phone or being on their Edge program.

13. divergirl macrumors regular

Well I just tried calling Verizon and asking about it, and they said if they brought their own devices it would be $60 BEFORE extra fees and taxes, and after taxes it would be a minimum of $75. Doesn't sound like very much of a savings to me… They said the plan offers unlimited talk and text, but my parents never go over their minutes as it is, and they would never be doing any texting. :rolleyes:

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, they don't quite work out as the best for everyone. They can be better now for many different situations, compared to what they were like before, but, yeah, not for everyone by far. In cases like that other options can be better, depending on what's more important and needed.