Anyone heard any updates about an Intel 300GB SSD release date?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamesryanbell, Jan 2, 2010.

1. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Couldn't find anything. Just figured I'd ask in case someone knew something I didn't. :)

2. Falk3r macrumors newbie

Falk3r

The most recent articles I can find referencing a 300/320GB Intel SSD date back to July of last year ('09). It'd be great to see 'em arrive at the same time as this MBP refresh, however :D.

3. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Hmm, i wonder when ssds will catch up with HDD sizes

4. segers909 macrumors regular

3 years. Prices will take much longer.

5. Falk3r macrumors newbie

Falk3r

[​IMG]

In reality, prices will never reach HDD prices; but eventually they won't hold a 10x price premium for a 2~3x performance premium.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There are a number of folks I know that have already played with the 320GB version, so it's only a matter of time they will come to market.

7. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

You know, these things were predicted at the beginning of last year. That should have driven prices of existing capacities down by much more than they did. On top of that, Intel's "value" drives were also predicted at the beginning of last year at a much lower price than what it looks like they'll be introduced at this year.

I don't think Intel is incented to push innovation in this market. I believe the appropriate word to use here is "milking". Come on big companies like Samsung, get your act together and get a competitive product out there.

Hopefully we're hear something more at this year's CES - from Intel and their competitors. $200 for a 100 GB would probably blow this market open.

8. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I thought Intel said it'd be a 300GB, not a 320GB. Am I wrong?

9. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

any news on that release ? When is that supposed to happen ?

10. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Are anymore updates/ rumours/ news about bigger Intel SSD drives? I see OCZ now sell up to 400gb SSDs.

11. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

The G3 update is coming in Q3/Q4 of this year. No one definitively knows when they will be released; we can only guess at this time.

12. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Thanks matey. Are the G3s going to be faster then OCZS Vertex 2 drives or does nobody know?

13. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

No one knows, but I would assume so. Intel is all about competition.

14. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Cool, if they are good then I may have to treat myself early next year so long as they launch at least a 300gb model. 320 and above would be great.
    Intel seem to work very well with Macs reading this site.

15. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

SSDs don't perform better or worse based upon the OS. TRIM is a factor, but not a huge one when most drives have garbage collection built in anyway.

The main reason why the SSD community is looking forward to the release of the G3 is the move to 25nm tech. Prices should drop dramatically as a result.

16. vant macrumors 65816

On the contrary. SSD sizes are growing more rapidly than the plate counterparts. Prices are dropping around 50% every year. Pretty soon SSDs will become mainstream.

17. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Oh right. I want something that performs well though and the Vertex 2 does, for a price. But if I could get an Intel G3 400GB or more for 6 to 700 pounds and it performed very well and had garbage collection built in I would be happy.

18. DannoTheManno macrumors newbie

When is this refresh?

19. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Most likely September or October or November. Intel will have launched some updated processors by then, think they are just some improvements and speed bumps.

20. DannoTheManno macrumors newbie

Do you reckon we'd see an i5 in a 13" pro in september? Or should I just take the plunge and get the 2.4C2D 4Gig Ram and an SSD?

I wish Apple would stop messing around call the press conference next week and tell us whats coming out and when so buyers can make decisions not based on speculation and ignorance.

Don't want to spend £1,000 on a laptop and then be told in 3 weeks I could have had one with more whistles and bells.

21. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

haha, sorry but that's the way Apple has and always will work, keep you guessing!
    As to the CPU in the 13", it's a tough one really, you have no chance unless either Intel and Nvidia sort out there squabble or if ATI can produce something to Apple's specs. THe 320M is modified especially for Apple for the 13"
    Personally I would ignore an i3 as I don't think it's much of an improvement? But I also don't think we will see i5's.
    I think the BEST advice is to wait, wait until next year and the launch of Sandy Bridge processors because I THINK Nvidia and Intel won't have the same stupid legal crap by then stopping them from giving customers what they want.

22. DannoTheManno macrumors newbie

It's all part of the reason I hate Apple as a company. The whole way they pretend their a big ethical consumer friendly corporation but even John Stewart ripped into them now...and that Bill Gates is killing mosquitos whilst Apple has become "the man".

Then there's the fan boys who treat Apple like a religion and Steve is some sort of Messiah. I like Apple products, I buy them because they're mostly better than the alternatives and things seem to 'work'. I'd switch to using Sony, their mp3 players laptops and desktops are built well if they only stopped filling up their laptops and pcs with all the crap Sony software...that and windows is pretty junk. Not tried 7, could be wrong, but Vista complete waste of time.

Going back to what you said. Can't wait a year just going to buy one as late as possible in time for college, if there's an announcement I'll wait, my Powerbook is seizing up but I could cope a little bit longer and I can't take a 27" iMac to the US (from the UK). If not c'est la vie, I'll be happy.

23. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

It's all about marketing, us people on here are a tiny minority of Apples customer base. But everyone else gets hooked into Apple with it's image and it's iToys.
    And thanks to Apples clever secrecy and marketing everyone including most of the media make a massive shout when new Apple products are launched, that gets the word to a massive number of people and helps to drive those sales up. If I was in charge of Apple I would do exactly the same thing, makes you money and gets the markets share.
    But if your going to the US then having an Apple product will be very useful as if anything goes wrong you can go to a store. Get applecare as well.

24. DannoTheManno macrumors newbie

Where does everyone buy their SSD's from by the way? And probably some more RAM as it's quite expensive on the Apple Site. Would like to go to 8GB. Or should I just buy it with the MBP?

I want to put one into the pro I'm going to buy. I don't need anything that large in storage as I will probably only use it for software and store music photos videos etc onto a TimeCapsule.