Anyone heard anything about a 14" Retina MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mechengr, Feb 3, 2016.

1. mechengr, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  2. MetalCores macrumors regular

MetalCores

This is defiantly something I could see them doing. There really doesn't seem to be a need for the Air with the MacBook in the line now. All they need is a larger size.

3. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Heard about a lineup with 12", 14" and 16" sizes once, but I don't believe there're any leaks or more info on this.

It could potentially be the MacBooks future, I believe. MacBook Air replacement 12" and 14", maybe a 16" Pro. Personally I'd like a 18" Pro with Retina MacBook design.

4. mechengr, Feb 3, 2016

mechengr thread starter macrumors newbie

5. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Easy there's nothing special or clever about these longevity, just stick a decent battery size in any OEM product of equal spec and numbers will be the same more or less. It certainly would not be giving 12 hrs in the old MBA if it was running a retina screen

Maybe the skylake processor would help to offset in part the larger screen consumption without too much compromise on thickness or weight

6. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

While my timing is different than yours, I'm hoping for a 14" MacBook as well. For me, it'll replace an iMac that only serves consumer-level needs. A 14" model that I can "dock" with one cable to a 4K monitor (which in turn has extra ports for plugging in the occasional peripheral) will be the perfect desktop that can also go on the road every now and then.

Due to Apple's production processes, computer rumors are far harder to come by than iPhone ones. My guess is that if it does happen, we'll only get a couple weeks' time, at most, between initial rumors and release.

7. in Cider macrumors member

in Cider

This would be my perfect screen size, ideally with Skylake (fanless 4.5W) and the same overall performance, but with increased battery life.

8. DanielDD macrumors 6502

I would like to see a 14'inch macbook pro with a resolution of 2880 by 1800 pixels (the same as the current 15' inch macbook pro) and a 16'inch mbp with a resolution 3360 by 2100 (2x resolution of 2006-2008 MacBook Pro's 17 inch)... and, of course, an increase in screen state that comes with these bumps

9. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

The idea of a 14" rMB is just based on wishes and speculation. There hasn't been anything even remotely close to "leaks" or rumors for that matter, which suggests there won't be one anytime soon.

...Which is sad, because a 14" rMB with a few additional ports would be the ultimate laptop. Light enough to bring anywhere, but still large enough to function as your only computer. I would like one!

10. sakabaro macrumors regular

Yeah, that's the sadness thing. A 14" would be perfect, but I trust less and less Apple management to release anything good.

11. Coldmode macrumors regular

A 14" rMB with the same resolution as the current rMBP would definitely get my dollars, but I'm not holding my breath, and I would bet money against it happening.

12. sakabaro macrumors regular

13. Coldmode macrumors regular

14. mechengr, Feb 5, 2016

15. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

I think a 14" rMB is a reasonable product to hope for, simply based on the possibility that the rMB might be the Air replacement and Apple will need 2 screen sizes.

On the other hand, people on the Air forums have opined for years for a 15" Air and it never materialized, so asking for a 16" rMB is a stretch. 14" and 16" Pros? I think that's more realistic.

16. Altis macrumors 68020

I can see them putting all the MacBooks to 12/14/16" since it isn't that much larger than their current sizes (12/13.3/15.4) and ultimately could fit in the same footprint if they reduce the bezels a bit like the XPS.

I would love to see a 16" model as well, or even a 15.4" non-pro model since those are CAD $2500 for the "base" model.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its been bantered about before here, and my answer is the same as before. A 14" laptop would make for a crowded product line.

Apple laptops (mba/mbp/mb) 11", 12", 13" (2 models), 14" (new model), and 15" I'd say that line up has way too many overlapping products.

18. DanielDD macrumors 6502

the 14 inch would replace the 13 inch and the 16 inch would replace the 15 inch. the product line would be 12, 14, and 16 inches. Not crowded

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Of course we as armchair quarterbacks can totally revamp apple's line up to make them not crowded, but in reality, right now Apple has 11, 12, 13, and a 15" laptop. I think a 16" laptop is not remotely feasible, I don't think we'll see that form factor at all, never mind the 14"

20. DanielDD, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016

DanielDD macrumors 6502

One thing is probable, the redesign is coming. Apple might use similar form facts and increase the screen sizes by reducing bezels (wish is what we've been discussing), or it might maintain the screen sizes and reduce the form factor (which is most probable).
    However, the 12inch macbook might makes me think that there's a (slim) chance that the first approach might be a reality.

21. tonedrums macrumors member

tonedrums

I think it's definitely possible. 14' would be a pretty sweet size, especially with the thin nature of the device. I wonder if that would mean increased battery life as well. Definitely something to look forward to!

22. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Right now Apple has this:
    - ''Normal MacBooks'' -> MacBook Air 11" and 13"
    - "Pro MacBooks" -> MacBook Pro 13" and 15"
    - "This is going to be the future MacBook" -> MacBook 12"

So in the future, the lineup might be this:
    - "Normal MacBooks'' -> MacBook 12" and MacBook 14"
    - "Pro MacBooks" -> MacBook Pro 14" and MacBook Pro 16" (18"??)

Actually, the naming might still include "Air'' to stay consistent with the iPads, who knows, they might even call 12" MacBook Mini... 18" MacBook Pro Plus? Why not... ;)

Point is, current uneven screen sizes will probably be replaced with sizes that fit the new form factor as introduced with the 12" Retina MacBook.

23. mechengr, Feb 6, 2016

24. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

I'm fine with the 3 iPhone sizes, and current rumors seem to dictate that Apple will keep something in the lineup that includes a 4" screen to continue to complement the 4.7 and 5.5 inch models. What I hope they will do is release an additional 14" rMB, and then a 14" Pro using the same screen, and finally a 16" Pro. The newly designed Pros would at least feature smaller bezels and have the same size footprint as the current 13 and 15" models, and maybe be slightly thinner. I don't see Apple giving and new Pro models a tapered base since that would require a significantly smaller battery.

I can't help but think that Apple released the 12" rMB first to see if it would cannibalize sales of the 11" Air. If that has happened, I would imagine Apple goes ahead and releases a 14" rMB to then EOL the Air line altogether, or just EOL the 11" Air and give the 13" Air one more year, as you state. I'm not sure where the 12/14/16" rumors are really coming from, other than an extrapolation of the 12" rMB.

Finally, I hope they just drop the term "Retina" and "Air" at some point soon. The new Macbook, which is smaller than the 11" Air and has a Retina screen, uses neither in its title. I see no reason to include either term in any product name going forward, be it a laptop or even the next iPad. Any Apple product that has a screen will all be Retina, and all the current "Air" products are not going to get significantly thinner than they already are (which is what Air meant to convey over a previous design).

25. mechengr, Feb 7, 2016