Anyone heard of datadot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by southbark, Apr 12, 2008.

1. southbark macrumors regular

I was looking for an easy way to mark my macbook pro,iphone, etc... and other small electronic devices in case they are stolen and i came across these
    DataDots I was curious if anyone had ever heard of them or used them

2. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Never tried this but I think the best solution for theft recovery is lojack. Google it for more info.

3. southbark thread starter macrumors regular

4. Mr DataDots macrumors newbie

DataDots

our company is a national distributor for DataDots
    We are currently porviding dots to many of the west cost universities for sale to students,
    working with Utility compnies is marking copper wire.
    Construciton companies for equipment.
    We are a Globle corp.
    Huge in the Auto industry.
    look at my web site www.microdotsecurity.com
    This is the newest is 21 st century idetification. and has many features that Lojack and other systems don't.
    Id be more thatn happy to explain the progams to you.
    Mr. DataDot

5. AAHH macrumors newbie

Asset Identification

DataDots are good. They are somewhat covert and meant to be applied in profusion. They are an affordable theft deterrent. The extra DataDots in a Kit can be applied to other assets - bike, musical instruments, other peripheral equipment, etc. I use them. Applying and registering is really easy. They are available at DHI.

You also might want to look at Smart-i-Tags. They are more overt. They are tags and stickers that you can attach to your assets. They allow the finder of a lost or stolen asset to find you directly without you divulging any personal information. I use these too - on my keys, backpack and pets! They are available at Smart-i-Tags. I used Promo Code 33762 and got 10% off. Might still work.

LoJack and GPS type stuff is good because they are an active theft deterrent - instead of passive. But they only work when an internet connection/cell signal/GPS signal is available and they are co$tly.

You need to weigh your perceived exposure to stolen or lost items and how much you are willing to spend to protect yourself.

Hope this helps.

6. southbark thread starter macrumors regular

The smart tag is a great idea if you loose something and an honest person:rolleyes: finds it,but if i crooked person:mad: finds your stuff they remove the tag and disappear with your stuff.

I could actually see the use of both systems together for a laptop if you leave it somewhere:p and someone picks it up they can call you but if a thief gets it and removes the sticker you will have the data dots to identify your laptop if the crook gets hooked:D by police or if you see the crook on the streets:mad: with it you can call the cops and have him arrested right there with your stolen property and data dots as the proof.:D

there website will even let you personalize:cool: the data dots with your name or 25 characters of whatever the hell you want to put on the dot

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

This is completely aside from the worth of the product, but ...

You must realize that if you come on a forum to promote your product, you have to use correct English grammar and spelling. Otherwise you risk people drawing conclusions about your company based on your posting errors.

English may not be your first language. If so, since you are a US distributor you may want to consider hiring someone to do your communications.

8. southbark thread starter macrumors regular

Do you have to pay a fee or is it just a ontime package purchase?

9. AAHH macrumors newbie

I use both DataDots and Smart-i-Tags on my Laptop and iPod (and other things.) I am of the opinion that no one technology is foolproof. Like Southbark said, a multi-faceted approach is probably best. Kind of like layers to an onion. Call me cautious, but I have been the victim of 3 house break-ins.

DataDots - The kit I got had 500 DataDots. I think it costs about $30 and includes a lifetime registration for the Dots in that Kit. If you buy another Kit, you have to register that too because they are different codes. They recommend putting lots of Dots on your items because their size and quantity act as a deterrent. I think they say that each Kit is good for about 10 items - but it all depends on how many Dots you put on your items.

Smart-i-Tags - Are overt (as I mentioned previously) and can be removed, but are meant for a different purpose. I read an article by an English research company a while back that said that 77% of finders of a lost item will make 1(and only 1) attempt to return the item. Smart-i-Tag says that they increase the chance of recovery by 85% - maybe I am recalling the English article incorrectly or maybe they are completely different studies. In any event, Smart-i-Tag uses a code that you kind of “lease.” You only need 1 code. So you buy your Smart-i-Tags with a Code on them and then you can buy Smart-i-Tags without the code on them (and write your code on). Your original purchase of a Smart-i-Tag with a code comes with a 1 year subscription. After that, renewal is $4.95 per year for that code, no matter how many Smart-i-Tags you have.

Hope that helps.