Anyone heard of Macguard virus??? PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sportsfan1234, May 31, 2011.

1. sportsfan1234 macrumors member

I'm a newb with computer and have only had my MPB for less than 1 year but today I was surfing the web and I clicked on a link and a pop up came up for this thing called Macguard....the installer popped up on my dock and indicated it wanted to install on my mac hd, but I quick closed it out. I have heard of the Mac Defender virus/spyware and was assuming it was something similar to that...I did not click install or type in a my password. I could not find it anywhere in my downloads folder....is it possible that i could have this on my computer now?? Has anyone heard of Macguard beofre ??

I found this link and it really has me worried I have been infected...PLEASE HELP

http://blog.intego.com/2011/05/25/i...ard-doesnt-require-password-for-installation/

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
    The first section of that link deals specifically with the MacDefender/MacSecurity/MacProtector/MacGuard issue, which is not a virus. I encourage you to read it.

3. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

If you didn't install it you're fine. Just delete the installer.

4. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

MacGuard is simply a variant of MacDefender, and while it does not require your password, you do have to click through the installer, and you would have to have input your credit card number for it to have gotten anything. From your original post, it sounds like you're perfectly safe.

jW

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're referring to the Mac Virus/Malware Info link I posted, it does mention MacGuard and also the fact that it may or may not require a password.

7. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

has anyone heard of this ???

http://www.intego.com/virusbarrier/

is it worth it ??? i def found the avrunner in my downloads folder. i did delete it however. im just worried...

8. simsaladimbamba

No.
    There is no need for such software, unless you get a lot of files from Windows users, which you then need to pass on to other Windows users.

Maybe this can help:
    Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

9. Hansr macrumors 6502a

How do people wind up seeing these things? I've never seen any of these ads... do people not use pop-up blockers (+ adblock)?