Anyone heard of or purchased this HD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Benjamin Black, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Benjamin Black macrumors member

So dealmac has this external hard drive listed today: Galaxy Metal Gear Box External 1TB for only $330. Triple interface too.

Anyone have any info about these? Sounds like a great deal, but I've never even heard of egoodz. Advertises use of Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA drives...is this a good drive?

2. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I have a 320g 7200.10 and it's a flawless drive.
    Quiet, runs cool...perpendicular recording. 5 year warranty is excellent. (Most manufacturers only offer 3yr.) Paid $94 a few months ago @ NewEgg. Once I get a Mac Pro I plan on buying at least one more Seagate SATA drive, maybe two...perhaps the 320s. :confused:

Seems like Seagate makes some of the best drives nowadays and has a great warranty, which is more than I can say for the record I have for Maxtor making reliable drives. :mad:

Edit: holy crap the 320s are down to $79 bucks! Yeesh! :eek: I may have to buy more before I get the Mac Pro. :D

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

In my opinion, Seagate drives are unbeatable in reliability. Although I have had two Seagate hard drives fail, they were 10gb and 20gb drives that were many years past their warranty, at least 5 or 6 years old. I think back then they only came with 1 year or 3 year warranties compared to the 5 year warranties now.

I used to work at a computer support company and nearly all the hard drive failures were Western Digital and Maxtor drives. Personally I've had one relatively modern WD drive fail and one of my Maxtor drives consistently produced errors from very early on. I've always regretted buying non-Seagate drives, its *always* come back to bite me in the ass.

I recently bought a 500gb Seagate drive in order to rescue some of the data off my 300gb maxtor drive. Unfortunately no recovery software can get any of my data off. 300gb worth of data gone and just because I saved £10 by getting Maxtor instead of Seagate!!

4. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Pricing is great. I recently bought a Iomega Ultramax 1TB because the shop did an error and priced it like the 640Gb model. I had to return the 640Gb I had just bought in another shop to get the 1TB :D

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

How do you like that Iomega UltraMax? Been looking at it really hard.