Anyone heard of this iPad Model #?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LanEvo, Sep 7, 2012.

1. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Apple MC960LL iPad 2 Wi-Fi 16GB Black

I ran across this, anyone heard of this model before? I cannot seem to find any info. on it.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's the standard black WiFi iPad 2 16GB model.

3. LanEvo thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it? I wanna make sure, bc for the regular Black model from Amazon and other places it is this:

Apple iPad 2 MC769LL/A

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. ziffos macrumors member

ziffos

I agree with Intell - its a Black 16Gb WiFi iPad2,4

6. Appl'd macrumors newbie

So there is nothing different or noteworthy about this part number iPad? I just picked up a refurb on Amazon to give to my grandparents and it turns out it has this model number. The display is markedly inferior to my 'MC769LL' iPad 2 when compared side by side, the MC960LL has much, much less contrast. From what you say it sounds like that might be due to a poor refurb job rather than something particular about this model though. I suspected it was an international version, from some 3rd world region that got iPads made out of Foxconn scraps or something.

Interestingly though, I just registered it at My Support Profile along with my MBP, my own iPad 2, and an iPod touch...as soon as the MC960LL registered it flashed on screen and dropped right off the list of registered devices. I tried to input the serial again and it says 'You've already registered this device'. I also got an email confirmation for registering it, but not for the other devices. Very strange.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

There is two variations of the iPad 2 on the market. One (the original) has an a5 chip. The other has the a5x chip found in the iPad 3 with cores disabled. This variation has a longer battery life.

8. Appl'd macrumors newbie

So you're saying:

MC769LL/A - original iPad 2, A5 chip

MC960LL/A - more recent iPad 2, modified A5x chip, longer battery life, otherwise identical

If true it would be good to have this information document, even if just here on a forum post. I've been searching 'MC960LL' and its variants for days now and found nothing but shady-looking resale sites until OP posted this question last night. Thanks OP!

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yep that's exactly what I'm saying..

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5789/the-ipad-24-review-32nm-a5-tested

10. Appl'd macrumors newbie

Haha just read that article right before you posted, +1 anyway...I just needed to change search engines, Google notably the loser in that particular search.

Wow, well lucky me I have my choice of iPad 2 models. Honestly I would keep the 2,4 if the picture wasn't so markedly horrid next to my 2,1. Battery life hasn't been limiting for me so far on the iPad. I should snap a pic for you guys but with only a droid incredible camera to take it with (for 13 more days) I doubt it would convey the intended message.

Thanks for the info!

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Quite wrong.

The iPad 2,4 uses a 32 nm shrink of the original A5, which were made on 45 nm.

Only the new iPad has the A5X chip based on 45 nm.

12. Appl'd macrumors newbie

Desirability of this alternative architecture? The display on this model is demonstrably worse than my iPad 2,1 but I assume for reasons unrelated to the chip. I'm still debating this tradeoff: potentially superfluous extra battery life vs a downgraded display and otherwise refurb'd components. I think I'll stick with the OG, it's just so much more pleasing to the eyes. Sorry grampa.

13. LanEvo thread starter macrumors 6502

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPad2,4 may preform slightly faster, but it isn't noticeable in use.

15. virtualruffy macrumors newbie

mactracker lists all devices

you can read about it and get it here:
    http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/5968/mactracker
    Most useful app anyone buying or selling Apple gear can have. It lists all mdel numbers etc for devices from first apple to most recent

16. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

You are replying to an almost three-year-old thread . . .