Anyone here actually sync Safari Bookmarks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Jan 22, 2009.

?

Do you sync your desktop Safari bookmarks with your iPhone?

1. Yes.

54 vote(s)
    73.0%
  2. No.

20 vote(s)
    27.0%
  1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I tried syncing my desktop bookmarks with my iPod touch a while ago and it completely froze my Mobile Safari everytime I tried to open it. It froze so much actually, that the iPod touch rebooted itself. I don't know about you guys but, I want/need different bookmarks on my iPhone than I want on my Mac. I have 16 Folders with probably 10-15 URLS in each... I certainly don't want all of that clutter on my iPhone (since I have flash sites and stuff on my Mac). I don't understand why someone would sync their desktop bookmarks with MobileSafari... especially since most people don't only have a few bookmarks on their computers.

So my question is, do you actually sync your desktop bookmarks with your iPhone? If you do, how many bookmarks (roughly) do you have?

2. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Yes I sync my Bookmarks to my iPhone. I don't have a problem checking the few bookmarks. I have about 30. I check most of them once per week.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yes. Probably about 7 'folders' with 3-5 links in each.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to sync. I read the same blogs and message boards on the road as I do at home.

I probably have about 300 bookmarks organized in 25 folders. They sync among 3 computers, 1 iPhone, and 1 iPod.

I can not imagine keeping track of all that separately...that would turn 300 bookmarks in 1,500, essentially!

5. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Wow. My iPhone freezes when I try to sync my bookmarks on it. Safari won't even work. Weird.

Okay, I just counted 347 Bookmarks in my desktop Safari and I have folders within folders too.

6. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

No. Firefox > Safari. I only use Safari on the iphone because I have no other choice.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm using MobileMe. It sounds like you're using USB.

I mean, it should work either way...but I think I'm doing it differently so I can't help you troubleshoot.

8. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Yes I do. It makes visiting sites I visit often (like MR:D) wayyy easier because I don't have to do any typing.

9. deadsouls macrumors regular

not me since idiotic apple wont support syncing with firefox

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yeah, I sync mine. I have about 15 folders, 30 to 40 pages per folder. I don't bookmark games or anything, and I find bookmark syncing incredibly useful. Sure I don't use all of my bookmarks on my phone, and I don't use all my iPhone specific bookmarks on my Mac. However, it is nice to be able to have every bookmark available at a glance.

11. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Interesting. I guess I just don't use very many bookmarks on either device. I may have a ton of bookmarks on my Mac, but there's no way I even look at them all... most of them are from sites I found useful then, and no longer need (but, I keep them just in case).

12. doobi18 macrumors 6502

Yes I sync bookmarks - a few hundred all in all.

Whilst I might occasionally try and find a bookmark, the main reason is to give me predictive URL for most of the sites I visit – a very handy feature when browsing the internet on a phone. :)

//doobi18

13. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I also don't see why you wouldn't (unless it is broken and crashes your phone). It's convenient. has all the stuff I regularly visit.

Even if you use firefox,can't you atleast sync to safari, and then sync to your phone?

14. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Yes and I have 300+ It proved to be incredibly useful recently when I had to reinstall OSX on my MacBook and had lost all of my data.

15. KarmaRocket macrumors member

KarmaRocket

With Firefox 3.1b2 you can import Safari history, bookmarks, preferences, cookies, etc.

Sure it's not synced up perfectly but with a little fidgeting you can have your bookmarks synced up on Firefox and Safari.

Though I use the recent webkit builds as my main browser, I usually find myself using Firefox for some sites and find it convenient to have synced bookmarks.

16. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I have always sync'd my bookmarks (100+). Never any issues. I use Mobile Me to sync them.

17. Volka macrumors newbie

As I can't directly sync my Firefox bookmarks with my iPhone, I occasionally export them into Internet Explorer and sync those through iTunes.

My bookmarks list is a bit messy at the moment as I have some in folders and some (recently added) in the main list, but it's useful to be able to access the same sites on my iPhone as on my computer without having to remember all the urls.

18. Psyxologos macrumors regular

Like the guy on the previous post really, I use firefox so I cannot directly synchronise my bookmarks. Pity really...

19. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I did it only once, to get the bookmarks on the phone.

Then I manually changed them to the mobile version (if applicable).

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

21. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

I sync 5 folders of bookmarks using MobileMe on the iPhone and 2 Mac laptops. I've never had an issue.

22. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't sync my Safari bookmarks with my iPhone.