Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
Just wondering if any of you guys here are booting a distro of Linux from a USB drive? The options appear to be quite limited to only a few distros when doing this.

Anyone have any thoughts or input on this?

Renzatic

Suspended
I have before. There's really not all that much to say about it. It's Linux for the most part...but a little slower.

I will say it's a nice way to "have your computer with you, wherever you go", so to speak. Allocate some persistent file space to the USB drive, tailor it to your tastes, and slap some of your favorite lighter programs on it, and you have an excellent little OS on a thumbdrive for troubleshooting or working abroad.

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
I have before. There's really not all that much to say about it. It's Linux for the most part...but a little slower.

I will say it's a nice way to "have your computer with you, wherever you go", so to speak. Allocate some persistent file space to the USB drive, tailor it to your tastes, and slap some of your favorite lighter programs on it, and you have an excellent little OS on a thumbdrive for troubleshooting or working abroad.

Did you manage to get it to run on Mac OS X? I'd like to run it on my MacBook Pro, but not have to fiddle around with any EFI settings or anything like that.

Renzatic

Suspended
Did you manage to get it to run on Mac OS X? I'd like to run it on my MacBook Pro, but not have to fiddle around with any EFI settings or anything like that.

All of my Linux experience is via PC, so I'm not the best person to ask about that. Someone else around here will probably pop up and answer that question far better than I could.

But in the meantime, this might help you out a bit.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Mac Linux USB Loader didn't work for me. I had to resort to this method (after much head scratching and loss of grey cells)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2174630

I have installed Ubuntu to my rMBP previously though I only have it on a vm nowadays. I managed to install it with EFI. There was some messing about trying to get it all done but it was do-able.

As far as booting and using Linux distros from a USB the only real problem I'm aware of is some graphics problems, which are usually fixable fairly quickly.

cmhall9

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
Summerville
Mac Linux USB Loader didn't work for me. I had to resort to this method (after much head scratching and loss of grey cells)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2174630

I have installed Ubuntu to my rMBP previously though I only have it on a vm nowadays. I managed to install it with EFI. There was some messing about trying to get it all done but it was do-able.

As far as booting and using Linux distros from a USB the only real problem I'm aware of is some graphics problems, which are usually fixable fairly quickly.

Funny, I'm having this same problem. I read through your instructions provided by the link. I'll give it a try in the next day or two.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Funny, I'm having this same problem. I read through your instructions provided by the link. I'll give it a try in the next day or two.

Let me know how it goes please.
One recent attempt failed for a user but others have worked ok for me.
I don't know what went wrong for him. Maybe something has changed :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.