Anyone here buy the Switch Pro Controller?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by KevinRightWing, Jul 16, 2017.

1. KevinRightWing macrumors regular

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I hear it is...

I didn't buy one because I mainly use my Switch mobile and the time I tried it docked (just to make sure it was working) I put the controllers in that holder and it seemed comfortable enough for me to skip buying the pro controller and save the $70...

3. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

if you are docked to the TV majority of the time and play fighting games, yes it's definitely worth it

4. hawkeye_a macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

I got a Pro Controller.

I primarily use my Switch docked, so if the Joy-Cons run out of battery, id have to dock them to charge before being able to play. The Pro Controller comes with a USBA to USBC cable, and can charge from the dock while playing in console mode, so it solves that problem.

The charging grip was an option I suppose, but I ended up going for the Pro controller because of the reviews, and ..... it is what it is, a great 'classic' controller (not as great as the GCN controller mind you). Had the charging grip come with the console in the box, I probably wouldn't have gotten a Pro controller. But, considering I'm a single player gamer who plans on using the Switch as a home console, i think the Pro controller will serve its purpose well.

Cheers

5. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

God yes.

It is one of the best controllers out there for any console.

Also, it has amazing battery life. Maybe not compared to the Wii U one but I have only had to charge it once in months.

I play mostly docked though so YMMV.

6. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'm glad I bought mine but if you want to save money, using the joy cons, for me, isn't that bad, either. I played zelda for a few days that way and didn't mind it at all. But its also easier to charge the pro (even while using it) as others have already said.

7. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

Worth is subjective. I bought the Pro Controller mainly so that I can keep my joy cons docked all the time, and I like having a traditional d-pad for the times where I want to use it. So it was worth it to me, might not be worth it to you...

8. KevinRightWing thread starter macrumors regular

I went ahead and bought one. Wow. It is a great controller. Well worth the $70 spent. Perfect for Zelda and Street Fighter. Thanks for the help everyone.

9. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Congrats on the purchase. I also think it's well worth the money. It's great for most games. The D-Pad make it perfect for retro inspired games.

10. deckard666 macrumors 6502

deckard666

Again absolutely recommended - prefer it to even my classic xbox 360 one

11. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

It's totally worth the money. I agree with all the other comments above. It just feels great to use and the d-pad is really nice for retro inspired games. I would recommend you think seriously about which design you want. So far there is 3 announced. Standard, Splatoon and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

The only downside is you can't can't scan boxed amiibo (with anti NFC sticky removed) with the pro controller, you have to use the joycon for that.

12. scottcampbell macrumors member

I held out for about 5 months, never used one, then I went to PAX and played demos with the Pro Controller.
    I pretty much raced to buy one - it was that good.
    Super comfortable controller, great layout and button sizes - can't recommend it enough.

13. hagr182 macrumors regular

I thought the joy-cons were ok as a controller and I have very big hands, I liked them so much I decided to skipping the pro altogether, that´s until I found a Pro Controller on Sale (got it 50%)...

The battery lasts forever (40 hours or so) I had to recharge it last monday since buying it, so I took the joy-cons out (I hate playing with wired controllers) and put them on the grip, now I do find them very small, it´s like I´ve been spoiled by the pro-controller; I just couldn´t go back.

Now I use my joy-cons only for certain games or on the go; for everything else I use the pro. The only cons are that the triggers aren´t pressure sensitive and that the buttons are just a tad too large for my taste; still worth every penny, get it if you find it on sale

14. scottcampbell macrumors member

Wow, where did you find it 50% off?

15. hagr182 macrumors regular

Local game store closing down